Thread: Anyone thinks BMD will have a Holiday discount?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1 Anyone thinks BMD will have a Holiday discount? 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,837
    I'm wishing that they would do some kind of hefty discount (60% off) on a few of their products that they might want to unload inventory, like the
    1. URSA Mini 4K EF
    2. BMPCC
    3. BMMCC

    BMD, are you listening
    As we dream, will you be giving
    To us loyal BM users, make us happy tonight
    Asking you for a winter discount wonderland
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    156
    Nope.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,837
    Why not? These are old array of products that are being replaced quickly with newer 4Ks and higher/newer models. However, many still delivers 1080p and 4K is catching up. People with a budget, students of cinematography can take advantage of the discount. It will also help BMD also offload their inventory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Taikonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,960
    It was kind of strange to see even their latest camera the UMP got a discount on Black Friday but not the Micro and Pocket cameras.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,837
    I was talking to the cinematography department director where my son was starting his cinema course work. They are selling the Panasonic GH5 at education price to their students as part of the curriculum. I asked why not the Blackmagic cameras. She said they did 3 years ago with the BMCC 2.5K but they were not able to get educational discount affordable enough for the students and it was discontinued to her disappointment. Now they have a pricing for their students. She said the GH5 has everything to teach camera use and movement but will allow students to bring whatever camera they could afford and practice with. So my son can get the GH5 for $600 less than retail, about $1395 USD with a kit lens. I was thinking that BMD might have a market for student if they would discount the URSA Mini 4K EF. If the did a 50% like they did the BMPCC A few years back, many will be able to afford it. That will be like 1495$. That's almost the price of the educational discount of the GH5. I would buy that for my son because I think it has better color science and cinema quality over the GH5 or other DSLRs. Just makes a lot of sense. But I don't think that is how BMD is looking at the market. I think they are missing a large market segments with education and the low budget independent filmmaker. It may just be the GH5 is the right platform for that market segment and Panasonic is working it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I was talking to the cinematography department director where my son was starting his cinema course work. They are selling the Panasonic GH5 at education price to their students as part of the curriculum. I asked why not the Blackmagic cameras. She said they did 3 years ago with the BMCC 2.5K but they were not able to get educational discount affordable enough for the students and it was discontinued to her disappointment. Now they have a pricing for their students. She said the GH5 has everything to teach camera use and movement but will allow students to bring whatever camera they could afford and practice with. So my son can get the GH5 for $600 less than retail, about $1395 USD with a kit lens. I was thinking that BMD might have a market for student if they would discount the URSA Mini 4K EF. If the did a 50% like they did the BMPCC A few years back, many will be able to afford it. That will be like 1495$. That's almost the price of the educational discount of the GH5. I would buy that for my son because I think it has better color science and cinema quality over the GH5 or other DSLRs. Just makes a lot of sense. But I don't think that is how BMD is looking at the market. I think they are missing a large market segments with education and the low budget independent filmmaker. It may just be the GH5 is the right platform for that market segment and Panasonic is working it.
    damn that's a mighty good discount, wish my university had something like that >.>

    My uni seemed to focus on cost effective and ease of use to teach a beginner. I believe they got in a bunch of canon c100 shortly after i was done which they loan out to the students. Mind you the school isn't exactly a film school but the bachelor was in media.

    C100 is just a great camera, built in nd's, 4k down sampled to 1080, c-log for those that are up to the extra steps of colour grading and great low light to help those that are working on using the camera and composing before knowing how to completely light the scene 100%

    Gh5 is an amazing camera and a great one to teach on. learn how to use different filters, nds and is a camera that can easily pay for itself many times over shooting marketing ads, weddings etc. Has the good old 4k draw that people want to hear when hiring someone. I can't wait for the GH5s.

    BMD are amazing to learn if you want to know the work flow of some of the most used cameras in cinema, how to colour grade and the best way's to light effectively but to get 4k in an all-in one easy to use light body for a student at a nice price then it's not gonna happen atm.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I'm wishing that they would do some kind of hefty discount (60% off) on a few of their products that they might want to unload inventory, like the
    1. URSA Mini 4K EF
    2. BMPCC
    3. BMMCC

    BMD, are you listening
    As we dream, will you be giving
    To us loyal BM users, make us happy tonight
    Asking you for a winter discount wonderland

    Yeah, it's interesting, it seems like they'd rather just discontinue a product and eat the inventory, like they did with the Cinema Camera.

    It's odd, but I guess they have their reasons.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    684
    Maybe they're smart and are managing their inventory with any transitions in mind...like a business plan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Maybe they're smart and are managing their inventory with any transitions in mind...like a business plan.
    You don't have to be offended by it. It's just a recognition that it's an odd practice for a tech company to never discount their old stuff. They'd certainly have more of my money, another 600-700 bucks if they put a discount on, but instead I'm giving that money to someone on eBay
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,837
    Well, I'm going with the GH5 with the educational discount for my son. He will need it starting the winter semester. I think that is a much better camera for him and probably less confusion since the instructor will be using that model. He can also shoot stills with it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Holiday Horror Skit DNG help
    By Peter917 in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2016, 12:57 PM
  2. The Elf - Holiday Horror Short
    By Peter917 in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 12:26 AM
  3. Holiday blowout: Lens, rig and 7" monitor for sale!!
    By Hundo in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM
  4. BMPCC RAW Holiday Video
    By markr041 in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM
  5. Holiday Deals thread for BMCC shooting/workflow
    By mico in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •