Thread: Saturation and contrast shift on export

1. #1 Saturation and contrast shift on export 
    I have some footage from the 4.6k mini, and when I export via h.264 or mpeg4 the colors accurately match what I'm seeing on resolve. However if I export using DNxHD or DNxHR 444 the colors are more saturated and contrasty. I would like the option of using DNxHD or DNxHR as an export. Any idea what is causing this?

bmcuser.jpg

When you say seeing in Resolve, what do you mean? The viewer window or an external monitor?

The viewer window in either the COLOR tab or Delivery Tab. I am viewing it on the same monitor that I am using to view the export.

This is common problem and depends of many factors mix:
    1. Did you use Mac or Windows?
    2. Did you uncheck "Use Mac display profile for image viewers" in Resolve global Preferences?
    3. Try to play with Data vs Video levels on import and export.
    4. Try to convert DNxHD to h264 with HandBrake app to see if shift still visible.
    5. What player did you use to see exported image? On Mac QT player, QuickLook preview, Safari browser use very strange color managed output and usually with custom monitor calibration profile this cause washed video look compare to VLC and all other common players.
    6. Exported Stills also have different gamma shift compare to video. To match exported stills to Resolve viewer video output you need to assign Rec709 gamma 2.4 ICC profile in image editing app and when convert image to sRGB ICC profile.
    7. Don't expect that if you fine tune things on your computer other people will see the same. Color Management works on paper but not in real life. Different people will see different results on different monitors and devices because Color Management implementation is very different between different operating systems and apps. Global Color Management standard for video actually don't exists at all.
    This is a pain.

Yeah, what Shijan said, this is a pain.

Judging from your grab it looks like data/full vs. video level export issue. The whites are hotter and the blacks are blacker which is what is pushing out the color. I have a simple white/black gradient that I use to troubleshoot import export issues. You should always be using video levels for export unless you're delivering for a medium that expects data levels and really there aren't any unless you're handing it over for post.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    This is common problem and depends of many factors mix:
    1. Did you use Mac or Windows?
    2. Did you uncheck "Use Mac display profile for image viewers" in Resolve global Preferences?
    3. Try to play with Data vs Video levels on import and export.
    4. Try to convert DNxHD to h264 with HandBrake app to see if shift still visible.
    5. What player did you use to see exported image? On Mac QT player, QuickLook preview, Safari browser use very strange color managed output and usually with custom monitor calibration profile this cause washed video look compare to VLC and all other common players.
    6. Exported Stills also have different gamma shift compare to video. To match exported stills to Resolve viewer video output you need to assign Rec709 gamma 2.4 ICC profile in image editing app and when convert image to sRGB ICC profile.
    7. Don't expect that if you fine tune things on your computer other people will see the same. Color Management works on paper but not in real life. Different people will see different results on different monitors and devices because Color Management implementation is very different between different operating systems and apps. Global Color Management standard for video actually don't exists at all.
    This is a pain.

I'm using Windows, and it looks like VLC player can play the file with accurate colors. The only problem is it can't always DNxHD or DNxHR formats because of a codec issue (I think) and I'm stuck using MPC-HC. Once I use MPC-HC the colors shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Yeah, what Shijan said, this is a pain.

Judging from your grab it looks like data/full vs. video level export issue. The whites are hotter and the blacks are blacker which is what is pushing out the color. I have a simple white/black gradient that I use to troubleshoot import export issues. You should always be using video levels for export unless you're delivering for a medium that expects data levels and really there aren't any unless you're handing it over for post.

Good Luck
    Shijan also mentioned data/full vs video level. I apologize if I come across as ignorant but I am unfamiliar with this? Are any of you able to explain further? I had no idea you can use gradients in Davinci.

Thanks, as always!

I never use Avid codecs, i don't know how to use them correctly. It is better to see deeper tutorials somewhere, do your own tests and find the correct way how it works.
    I can add that 444 vs 422 codec option may also affect gamma shift and levels range.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-09-at-6.57.33-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2017-12-09-at-7.07.10-AM.jpg

What Shijan marked here is the setting to play around with, not necessarily the recommended setting. "Auto" often doesn't work right, for example a full range clip out of Resolve is normally not recognized as such when reimported with Auto.