Thread: URSA mini speedbooster - first test

1. #1 URSA mini speedbooster - first test 
    I received my speedbooster from italy today. It came with no instructions but I have worked it out.

I had to remove the baffle inside the lens cavity, remove the o-ring and carefully remove the IR filter, so the speedbooster could be screwed in closer to the sensor. Then i put the IR filter onto the front of the speedbooster, held on by a similar 0-ring as it did in the Ursa body. And screwed it on.

This is a really quick test, i just took a few raw frames with the ursa, then did the same with canon 5dsr. The speedbooster seems reasonably sharp, a little soft it seems on the far edges, but looks ok.

The speedbooster doesn't match the canon frame. its still cropped. I cant compare the frame without the booster as its too hard of a job changing it over.

heres some pics-

IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_0486.jpg

Ursa mini 4.6k frame-

URSA_FRAME_SPEEDBOOSTER.jpg

Canon 5dsr fullframe file-

CANON_FRAME.jpg
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

Heres a rough comparison of the frame sizes.

COMPARISON_FRAMES.jpg

Here are the edge sharpness on a canon 85mm f1.2 wide open (as I am only interested in this). Not bad for the speed boosted ursa. the canon a 52mp camera with the file reduced in size to compare to the ursa 4.6k file.

Canon file

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.00.17 PM.jpg

URSA file (to the right of the blue line)

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.00.07 PM.jpg
    Last edited by paulrossjones; 12-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Hello, I've been following Luca for a while on this project but suddenly all his videos, crowdfunding campaign and information on this project have vanished so I thought it died. So it's nice to see some working version outside his workshop. Is this project still alive anyways or is this something like a copy of a few prototypes? Also I understand it's such a bother to take it off and put it back but it's the before vs after what everybody would care about of course not vs Canon 5D really. Not that you have to do it, that would be Luca's job (he did have a rough video actually if I remember correctly). Thanks for the report and samples anyways

Do you think this will fit the URSA Mini 4.6k PL model?

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    Do you think this will fit the URSA Mini 4.6k PL model?
    i dont know for sure, but probably as the PL mount "deck" sits proud of the ef mount by a few mm's. i don't have a PL ursa to check. But if the PL version has the same screw in light baffle before the sensor, then it probably will.

it wont fit an ursa pro however. the nd filters will get in the way.

If you want to remove your PL baffle and can measure it, I can tell you exactly if it will fit.
    it screws in towards the IR filter thats in front of the sensor and you will need one of these tools-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-DSLR-Le...wAAOSw-kdXz2aU

its not that hard to do and reasonably safe IMO.

paul
    Last edited by paulrossjones; 12-07-2017 at 04:35 AM.
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Quote Originally Posted by pidulgi View Post
    Hello, I've been following Luca for a while on this project but suddenly all his videos, crowdfunding campaign and information on this project have vanished so I thought it died. So it's nice to see some working version outside his workshop. Is this project still alive anyways or is this something like a copy of a few prototypes? Also I understand it's such a bother to take it off and put it back but it's the before vs after what everybody would care about of course not vs Canon 5D really. Not that you have to do it, that would be Luca's job (he did have a rough video actually if I remember correctly). Thanks for the report and samples anyways

Comparing the 5d is a good reference I think- as thats the vista vision look I know many want to achieve. sorry, i should have done a before test, but i was eager to get the adaptor into the camera! I'm nervous about removing it as the sensor is exposed to dust. Ill see how I go, i might get a chance- but ill only be able to test without the IR filter, as this was the tricky part of the process.

cheers paul
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com