Thread: Looking for a good dedicated hairlight

1. #1 Looking for a good dedicated hairlight 
    I am looking for a decent hair light. Something I can run off of batteries is essential. It should be lightweight and I am fine with gelling for a single color light source.

TIA!

Mike

I use a Kinotehnik 602. It has a focusable beam and variable color temperature. I love it. It draws 90w too so you would have no problem powering it with a battery.
    Ola Harström
    vimeo.com/olis

I've used that Kino 602 and it's a really great light...but expensive for a rim/hair light.

I usually use an Aputure 528S (spot) panel. It's cheap. It's really lightweight. Runs on cheap Sony NP-style batteries. 5600K with a 3200k filter.
    Always seems to work just fine for this specific purpose.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...light_led.html
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

If you want a diffuse hairlight, I'd get an Aladdin Bi-Flex 1x1 with their soft box attachment. It's so lightweight that you can boom it out on one of those cheapo reflector holder stands made by Impact. If you prefer hard light, it's tough to beat a classic Dedo 150. It's tungsten, but they are so easy to gel with a tiny square of CTB slid in behind the barn doors. I always carry at least one of each of those lights on every shoot. They are always useful.
    EDIT: Forgot about the battery requirement. Dedo makes LEDs, but they are pricey. In that case, for a hard light the Wasp 100-C from Hive Lighting is a good choice. Nice feature on it is that you can control it using an iPhone app that Hive created for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bscenefilms View Post
    I am looking for a decent hair light. Something I can run off of batteries is essential. It should be lightweight and I am fine with gelling for a single color light source.

TIA!

Mike
    Pretty broad question. What is the setup? Single person talking head, multiple talking heads, stage production, narrative, doc, INT, EXT?

Single person interview situation.

Then you probably want a small point source fixture like a small LED panel with a narrow beam angle or a COB type fixture like https://www.aputure.com/products/ls-...0d-20c?variant. I use a Dracast 160 but it's an older model with a 30 degree beam angle from back when you could choose spot or flood, 30 or 60 degree, now they are all 45 degrees I believe. I'd avoid anything larger than a small LED panel because you'll get too much wrap and create weird shadows. You could probably use just about any small LED panel like this guy https://www.aputure.com/products/AL-H198.

Good Luck

I use one of these when I want something really small and battery powered.
    https://www.dragonimage.com.au/onlin...deo-light.html

These also run from battery or AC, and can be a hard source or diffused with soft box. They are bigger, but still quite portable for a light that can be a key or backlight.
    https://www.came-tv.com/collections/...e-led-daylight

Both have high CRI and produce great colour for skin tones.

I use a diff'd 1x1 Panel when I need something battery powered. I prefer a soft backlight for interviews. It helps to avoid hotspots on the upper forehead. Bald men are especially tough to back light. It's not the lightest set up but a C Stand armed out holds it just fine. Those Aputure 120d and 300ds look to be great options as a hard source that can be diff'd as well.

Thank you gentlemen.