Thread: Copy timelines

1. #1 Copy timelines 
    This question has been asked before but maybe things changed:

I like to make a project with two or more timelines. And afterwarth I want to put these timelines together.

Advantage is that this works faster.

Is there a way to do that? (not copy paste).

Without using copy paste you can select all in one timeline and make a compound clip, that compound clip will show up in the media browser which can then be inserted into the other timeline or you can make compound clips of both timelines and combine them in a new timeline. A word of caution, I had some audio problems, as did others, in 14 beta with the audio track assignments within compound clips. They may or may not have been addressed in the final release.
    Last edited by Howie Roll; 12-02-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Page 411in the manual opened my eyes, there are several ways to combine or nest things. Each has a different behavior when editing, so it was useful to me to become aware of the options and their different uses.

Thanks that was helpfull: compound clips can be copied and decomposed. I'll try that (p413). It seems all is in the book :-)

This is part of why I LOVE Avid. No compound crap. Just drop the timeline into the source window like any other clip. I don't get why this simple yet brilliant feature isn't a basic feature for all NLE, it seems like a no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    This is part of why I LOVE Avid. No compound crap. Just drop the timeline into the source window like any other clip. I don't get why this simple yet brilliant feature isn't a basic feature for all NLE, it seems like a no brainer to me.
    Indeed.
    I've always felt the same way.

In Audio DAWs there is only ONE that actually has a playback speed/pitch control like a tape machine, and it's the nearly free REAPER.
    Absurd that the big expensive ones don't have it.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

You can do that in Resolve as well. You don't need to make compound clips, it just gives you more control over the in and out points. As with any NLE there are more than a few ways to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    You can drop a timeline into the source viewer!

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    You can do that in Resolve as well. You don't need to make compound clips, it just gives you more control over the in and out points. As with any NLE there are more than a few ways to skin a cat.
    It has been awhile since I've played with the editing features of Resolve, but I do remember that bringing in a timeline created an Inception-like nightmare of nested timelines.

In Avid if I place a timeline in the source window I can see that entire timeline and all of its elements. If I wanted I could view the source timeline and grab from it only clips 2, 3, the first half of clip 8, a transition, plus a lower 3rd graphic and insert them into my master timeline. They would insert into the master as individual clips & graphics as if they were naturally built on the timeline.

If Resolve can do this without jumping through hoops, creating nested timelines, or compound clips then I'll give it another look as an editor.

All you need to do is select the compound clip and hit decompose in place and the compound clip will expand. Takes 5 seconds if you're really taking your time. Inception-like nightmare may be a stretch. That said I've been an FCP user since the late 90s I got a new MacBook this year and it's the first machine I've owned in almost 2 decades that doesn't have FCP installed. Just as an NLE some things about Resolve drive me nuts, playhead tracking is probably #1, some things are great. Like any migration some things will be awesome others not so much. For a product whose NLE features are what 3 years old now, it's maturing nicely.