Thread: Micro side handle that still allows it to sit flat?

1. #1 Micro side handle that still allows it to sit flat? 
    Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a side handle to attach to (or come as part of) a Micro Cinema rig. But all the handles I've found (including the BM Mini handle) extend below the micro and cage, so there's no way to just stand the rig up flat on a table or floor.

The obvious solution is a top handle, but I hate those. Anyone know of any side handles that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

Which cage are you Using? Have you seen Shijan’s Arri Rosette Mount?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.

I use this guy, kinda looks like a bunny. Rosette grips are the best because they can go from a pistol style for shooting from the waist or horizontal like ENG grips for shooting with an EVF at eye level. They also don't take a ton of force to lock into place. Top handles are 90% carrying the camera and moving from one place or support to the next, not so much about shooting unless you're a skateboarder.

Tilta has these, Smallrig makes them, even the Ergocine ones have come way down in price since Aaton style grips became the new thing. I got mine off ebay for about $100 bucks. Feels really nice in hand and doesn't take as much force to control as a bicycle grip.

Good Luck

Bunny.jpg

atm I'm using https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAMVATE-...AAAOSwmkpZ-B-G as a cheap option but I'd really rather get the rosette handle as this one has a couple of issues. 1 the form fit for my hand was off and uncomfortable, I had to sand a shape some parts down. 2 it sits too far from the center of balance and 3 it blocks my ability to add a hdmi clamp.

I think I may end up with some sort of rail rising system and the ursa mini hand grip for it's lanc record functionality.

Here are my attempts to create a proper rosette mount and small size handle:
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20993
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?21220

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I use this guy, kinda looks like a bunny. Rosette grips are the best because they can go from a pistol style for shooting from the waist or horizontal like ENG grips for shooting with an EVF at eye level. They also don't take a ton of force to lock into place. Top handles are 90% carrying the camera and moving from one place or support to the next, not so much about shooting unless you're a skateboarder.

Tilta has these, Smallrig makes them, even the Ergocine ones have come way down in price since Aaton style grips became the new thing. I got mine off ebay for about $100 bucks. Feels really nice in hand and doesn't take as much force to control as a bicycle grip.

Good Luck

Bunny.jpg
    yep - totally on the same page as Howie. I have a Wooden Camera right grip (with LANC trigger box) and the Small Rig left wooden grip (it's height adjustable and that makes it even with the right grip). I'm 6'4" and don't shoot from my shoulder, so the 2 handed RED style rig with a 5" VA up top is perfect for my style of shooting (mostly video synergy during photo shoots).

Wow, that looks awesome!

I actually don't have a cage (or a Micro) yet - I'm buying a used Micro this week and looking to kit it out for a very small, simple rig. I'll be getting the new One Little Remote, so any handle would have to clear that area, and I'm probably getting the SmallRig cage, unless anyone else has a better recommendation.

I love the help, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    Wow, that looks awesome!

I actually don't have a cage (or a Micro) yet - I'm buying a used Micro this week and looking to kit it out for a very small, simple rig. I'll be getting the new One Little Remote, so any handle would have to clear that area, and I'm probably getting the SmallRig cage, unless anyone else has a better recommendation.

I love the help, thank you!
    well, one good thing about the smallrig cage is that a lot of the community made mods are designed with that in mind (all of Shijan's pieces, OneLittleGoat, etc) - it's also a really well designed cage for the BMMCC (with has design input from our own members like Zack F and Shijan). for the record, Shijan's offset Arri mount is a game-changer...my big fingers are forever thankful for those couple extra millimeters.

I have the Wooden Camera Micro cage, it works well also. I have Shijan’s Rosette Mount and the BM Ursa Mini candle, if you Lut the Rosette Mount on the top set of side mount screws, you can out the camera flat down, and the grip is even with the bottom. The Smallrig cage would work the same. I got the Wooden Camera cage, because my Speed Booster and PL (a WC BMPCC Pro) lock into the WC Micro Cage nicely.

Ryan T Wooden Camera takes Community inlutmalso, I helped design the WC replacement foot for thrnMetabones Speed Boosters.
    Cheers