Thread: Panasonic Leica 15mm Lens

1. #1 Panasonic Leica 15mm Lens 
    Couldn't seem to find the answer to this, but can anyone confirm that auto-iris is the only way to manipulate the aperture of this lens on the BMPCC? I read that the physical iris doesn't work when connected to the BMPCC. Is there a way to manually control the iris in camera or is only auto available? Thanks for any help.

Correct, the manual Iris ring on the PL 15mm only works when connected to a Panny MFT Camera (GH4/5). On the Pocket camers, you can use the “Iris” push button to auto set the Iris, it use the arrow buttons on the top of the camera to manually set the Iris. When I had my Pocket Camera, I used the Iris button to get a starting point setting, and then used the arrow buttons to fine tune the exposure.

Focus with the PL 15mm can be set with the Ficus button, or you can manually focus with the lens focus ring, which works very nicely, and is smooth.

When I got my Micro Camera, I missed the auto Iris/Focus buttons when using my Panny Leics lenses, but adding the BM Ursa. I i gripmto the Micro Camera, gives you the missing Iris and Focus buttons, and the lens works well with it. Additionally, on the Micro camers, you can use the SBus remote to adjust focus and Iris.
    Cheers

Hey Denny, I've been reading occasional posts about the Ursa grip and the Micro.
    Could you detail a little more of the speciifics of how it works with the MIcro and what functions you can control with it (or should that be another thread?)
    Tanx.

There have been a few threads in this already. But in short, the BM grip gives the Micro (via Lanc) start/stop record (BMMCC) and with both Micros, instant auto iris setting (sets the f/stop based on sensor clipping levels) and push to focus, a little square looks up,and set focus on whatever is inside the box. These functions require a native MFT Auto lens like the Panny Leica lenses, which work well with the lens control features in the Pocket and Micro Camera’s. Other lenses compatibility and function depend on the lens being used. I have only tested the Panny Leica prime and zoom lenses, and they work well with this, and SBus and Lanc control devices.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Hey Denny, I've been reading occasional posts about the Ursa grip and the Micro.
    Could you detail a little more of the speciifics of how it works with the MIcro and what functions you can control with it (or should that be another thread?)
    Tanx.
    Small sample here

Thanks Antithese for posting this, I didn’t have time earlier to go looking for it. Auto push to focus works very smoothly and quickly with the PL lenses going from far to near distance, as the first example in the video shows. Changing the focus from near back to far in lower light, the camera hunts a little, depending on the subject. In brighter light, Focus is quick. Again auto focus speeds will depend on the lens. The PL prime lenses are very quiet and fast, but some of the lower costs consumer MFT kit type lenses are a little slower and louder focusing. The new PL 12-60 f/2.8 Zoom is very fast and no noise during an auto focus, the fastest I have tested so far.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 11-29-2017 at 08:50 PM.

WOW! The URSA grip is slick. Do you think this will work on the pocket since it has a lanc cable.

Can you buy the USRA grip by itself?