Thread: LP-E6 Battery Dummy for Micro & Video Assist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 LP-E6 Battery Dummy for Micro & Video Assist 
    I recently got a Micro + VA and thought it would be good to have a battery dummy around for various purposes such as operating with external battery, powering the camera from the wall without using the expansion cable and so on.
    So I got this guy from eBay for a very fair price. It's also available in Amazon.

61Au+UNZrkL._SL1200_[1].jpg

After it arrived it became apparent to me it actually somehow doesn't fit neither on the Camera or the VA. The two central pins at the back side of the dummy looks alright but it's the sides that are wrong. There's supposed to be a gap an one side (so the plastic from the camera slides in) but instead there is a pin. It is advertised as "LP-E6 Dummy" though and seeing comments from the same item from places like Amazon etc. it is clear that people use this dummy just fine with their Canon devices.

Then I found more expensive ones like Lanpart's one that seem to have the correct configuration.

51f+0u9BRzL._SL1005_[1].jpg

I'm not very familiar with batteries but can please somebody that knows about batteries explain what's going on and why the pins are different when both batteries are supposed to be dummies for LP-E6?
    Thanks!

This needs DIY to fit to BMMCC. Take hot metal thing and just melt missing groove. You also may need to grind inside and outside mounting clamps with knife and sand paper. That thing is low quality made and may not fit sometimes.

the cheap ones don't fit as you have found out. Pay the extra for piece of mind, whats that saying "pay more and buy once right". I probably just made that up ha. I gutted a dead battery myself and soldered a dc connector like the lanpart. It does not regulate voltage though, thats something you have to keep in mind. I know for a fact the SmallHD Focus only take 7.4v so if you accidentally put in 12v its dead. Video Assist takes 12v right? one less thing to worry about.
    Last edited by iammuc; 11-27-2017 at 10:27 AM.

It's quick and simple fix. I did it two of mine. I just used a razer and cut the groove out of the BMCC. I attached pictures to show you what's going on.

51f+0u9BRzL._SL1005_.jpg
    61Au+UNZrkL._SL1200_.jpg
    91ZY3RXhqDL._SL1500_.jpg
    - Aka f1lm3r
    [url(]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5596898/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1)[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by pidulgi View Post
    I recently got a Micro + VA and thought it would be good to have a battery dummy around for various purposes such as operating with external battery, powering the camera from the wall without using the expansion cable and so on.
    So I got this guy from eBay for a very fair price. It's also available in Amazon.

61Au+UNZrkL._SL1200_[1].jpg

After it arrived it became apparent to me it actually somehow doesn't fit neither on the Camera or the VA. The two central pins at the back side of the dummy looks alright but it's the sides that are wrong. There's supposed to be a gap an one side (so the plastic from the camera slides in) but instead there is a pin. It is advertised as "LP-E6 Dummy" though and seeing comments from the same item from places like Amazon etc. it is clear that people use this dummy just fine with their Canon devices.

Then I found more expensive ones like Lanpart's one that seem to have the correct configuration.

51f+0u9BRzL._SL1005_[1].jpg

I'm not very familiar with batteries but can please somebody that knows about batteries explain what's going on and why the pins are different when both batteries are supposed to be dummies for LP-E6?
    Thanks!
    Do what others have suggested and just pay the money for the right part. Beyond what others have already suggested for making it work, which still doesn't work, you'll need to cut a notch in the back of the dummy or it will not lock into place. Lpe6 batteries have notch in the center it's where the micro spring clip/release locks the battery in, the dummy you linked is just flat.

Please don't hack up your camera or the dummy just to try and make the wrong part fit. Does the dummy even convert from 12V? Get the right part from Lanparte, GyroVu, or IndiPro tools and be done with it.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Do what others have suggested and just pay the money for the right part. Beyond what others have already suggested for making it work, which still doesn't work, you'll need to cut a notch in the back of the dummy or it will not lock into place. Lpe6 batteries have notch in the center it's where the micro spring clip/release locks the battery in, the dummy you linked is just flat.

Please don't hack up your camera or the dummy just to try and make the wrong part fit. Does the dummy even convert from 12V? Get the right part from Lanparte, GyroVu, or IndiPro tools and be done with it.

Good Luck

So you're saying what I suggested doesn't work, but I know for a fact it does? You don't need to cut a notch inside the dummy, just remove the notch on the Micro.
    - Aka f1lm3r

I'm specifically referring to the battery release tab. The flat Lpe6 dummy shown does not have one, the only thing holding the battery in is friction. I have no idea what plate you are using.

notch.jpg

By all means, if it's worth saving 20 dollars carve away. For the frugal I'd postulate that you just carved more than $20 dollars worth of resale value off of your camera.

Good Luck

Never had an issue and it stays in the nice and firm. I would postulate the second I take it out of the box, it dropped $20 worth of resale value off my camera. I'm none too worried about shaving off 1mm piece of plastic off the back of the camera, and I doubt any potential buyers would be either. Each their own, I suppose.
    - Aka f1lm3r

Quote Originally Posted by Park Edwards View Post
    Never had an issue and it stays in the nice and firm. I would postulate the second I take it out of the box, it dropped $20 worth of resale value off my camera. I'm none too worried about shaving off 1mm piece of plastic off the back of the camera, and I doubt any potential buyers would be either. Each their own, I suppose.
    same here - an x-acto and sand paper solved that problem on both my BMMCC & 5" VA.

it's like James Glickenhaus says, "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not making love with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend."

I'm concerned about my camera's usability today than some other person's thoughts later on.

Putting miles on a Ferrari is not the same thing as carving out the fender well to install an Auto Zone battery because it's cheaper. Shooting with the camera is not the same thing as carving off bits. Again if it's worth saving $20 for a hack solution then by all means hack away.