Thread: BMCC MFT + BMPCC T 0.58x Speedbooster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMCC MFT + BMPCC T 0.58x Speedbooster 
    So, about using the BMPCC 0.58x Speedbooster on a MFT Cinema Camera, Metabones states on their site "can be mounted, but does not cover the full sensor with most lenses".
    So, my question is what's the actual, practical situation about this? Has anybody tried it and had any success with some lenses? What "most" lenses means anyways?
    I can imagine that in theory the BMPCC speedbooster's back element is focusing in an area smaller than BMCC's sensor size but does this really happen? Then why "most lenses"? What lenses would make this work anyways?
    I have a Micro with the Speedbooster but I have been considering (re)getting a Cinema Camera this time in MFT. Getting another pricey speedbooster is not ideal, so I'm considering all the options.
    Please share your experiences. Thanks!

I doubt very much that the BMPCC SpeedBooster will cover anything bigger than a S16 gate, with any lens.

The BMPCC Speed Booster was made for the Pocket camera’s S16 sensor, optimizing the angle,of view for the camera’s small sensor.
    It also works well with the Micro camera’s, and the Studio/Micro Studio camera’s 1-inch sensor is about as big a as the Speed Booster’ projected image circle will cover. I do not removmmed trying to mount this on a regular MFT Camera, as the SB rear optical block protrudes out more than the other MFT SB, and it might hit the sensor cover glass in other camers, as the sensor cover glass is twice as thick (4mm) as the BM MFT camera’s at 2mm.

The BMCC SB might work with camera’s like the GH5 or LS300 which can window their sensors to a smaller gate size. But again, take care the rear element does not hit the sensor cover glass or the built in filters on the LS300.

That said, these Speed Boosters are really designed to work with the BM cameras, as they are correctrd for the thinner sensor glass, and adjust the FFD accordingly. Using them on other MFT cameras with thicker sensor glass, will throw off the FFD, and the resulting focus wil, be soft with faster lenses.
    Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys. That's great theory and it's what I'm saying myself in the original post. I'm still looking for somebody that actually tried this on their BMCC though and has results as Metabones states its possible and not damaging.

There are more than a few youtube comparisons showing exactly what you're after. Ultimately the BMCC and the pocket have the same size pixels so even if a given lens doesn't cover the full sensor you can still extract 1:1 raw at HD or even 2K res. If you're shooting Prores not so much.

I have a BMCC and BMPCC Speedbooster, but I'm not going to even attach the Speedbooster because of the very clear warnings it could damage the camera.

For me, it's just not worth the risk. I ended up getting a Zhongyi Turbo II EF-MFT focal reducer for AU$180, and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    I have a BMCC and BMPCC Speedbooster, but I'm not going to even attach the Speedbooster because of the very clear warnings it could damage the camera.

For me, it's just not worth the risk. I ended up getting a Zhongyi Turbo II EF-MFT focal reducer for AU$180, and it works great.

Thank you for the response. Can I ask where did you see those warnings? It says "can be mounted, but does not cover the full sensor with most lenses" in the actual metabones site.
    Thanks for the Zhongyi suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    There are more than a few youtube comparisons showing exactly what you're after. Ultimately the BMCC and the pocket have the same size pixels so even if a given lens doesn't cover the full sensor you can still extract 1:1 raw at HD or even 2K res. If you're shooting Prores not so much.

Thank you for the reply. I couldn't find any videos with the BMPCC speedbooster mounted on the BMCC - that's what I'm asking. Could you please point me to those?
    I see what you mean, even if it vignettes I could simply zoom in the RAW and have a nice 1080p.

I remember seeing a couple back in the day but I'm not bored enough to sort through 20,000 YT hits to find them.

Here's a thread posted on this forum discussing the topic.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...on-a-BMCC-2-5k

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by pidulgi View Post
    Thank you for the response. Can I ask where did you see those warnings? It says "can be mounted, but does not cover the full sensor with most lenses" in the actual metabones site.
    Thanks for the Zhongyi suggestion.
    I see what you mean. Maybe you're right. It may actually be possible to mount it to the BMCC without damage.

Whether the image circle is big enough is another matter altogether.