Thread: GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Ryanite, did any thing exists in this world that looks not great for you?

All samples overexposed and have blown clipped highlights which are digitally recovered in post by that transformation LUT. All looks very DSLRish and GH5ish. you can get same shifted "Alexa colors" and highlight rolloff for free with LUTcalc app. Just transform to Alexa-X-2 or Amira709
    The indoor comparison in particular features an overblown gradient ramp. I hit a reflective white board with a very strong focal halogen, to reveal where the cameras blow out, and how they handle it.

As detailed in the PDF, the conversion is not simply a shift in known format parameters. You can use LutCalc or buy Lattice to create a tailored V-Log to LogC conversion, which will give you more 'Alexa-like' colors. I know this, because indeed I bought Lattice in my dogged pursuit of getting something more Alexa-like. But as you have likely noticed, the result is far from an accurate match to an Alexa. I made this first and foremost for myself, because I really wanted a true conversion

Quote Originally Posted by frank10 View Post
    Could you post the original vlog pic with the girl with checkerboard and flowers? Also with the original Alexa one?
    They look really good!
    *Thanks Frank!
    Yes; when I get back to my primary computer in a bit I will take Log screenshots
    Last edited by Sage; 11-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Yes; when I get back to my primary computer in a bit I will take Log screenshots
    Screenshot of the LOG is not the same as LOG source. When you do a screenshot image looks same but actually being converted to monitor color space and gamma. It will be great if you can share frame exported from v-log timeline to same v-log output

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Screenshot of the LOG is not the same as LOG source. When you do a screenshot image looks same but actually being converted to monitor color space and gamma. It will be great if you can share frame exported from v-log timeline to same v-log output
    Hang in there; high quality Log grabs coming right up. I'm away from home at the moment

Alexa LogC

GH5 V-Log

GHa LogC Conversion

High Quality Files:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/namaa...0Log%20SBS.zip

Also, this will be of use; the documentation Pdf:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/gz9p6...umentation.pdf

6. #16 Hybrid Log-Gamma 
    Hybrid Log-Gamma Support Added

Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) conversion variations are now included with each light source, in addition to the V-Log variations. They are indistinguishable from the V-Log variations. Also, the V-Log variations have been updated.
    The documentation PDF will be updated to reflect the new HLG support on Friday.

Attached is the first in a series of comparisons that will demonstrate the difference between native GH5 color science and Alexa color science. For the conversion image, only the main GHa Daylight conversion has been applied, with no other alteration. The native color image has been matched in contrast and saturation using the Lift-Gamma-Gain controls and saturation slider.

This is pretty good stuff. Thanks mate.

The PDF has been updated to reflect HLG support, as well as an important detail about luminance levels (P3), brought to my attention by Ryan Glover

PDF

GHa Tungsten Main / Native V-Log Color Comparison

Will this work with fz-2500 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Will this work with fz-2500 camera?
    No - that is, its not officially supported. I don't know how different its V-log is from the GH5, but I assume its a different sensor.
    Because V-log L conforms to a very specific, defined standard, GHa may look quite nice with it. But unless its V-log image is identical to the GH5, it won't be an accurate match to the Alexa.
    What I am going to work on next may allow me to support many cameras, but we'll have to see. I won't settle for any standard less than perfect.