Thread: Bit by the Big, Bad HDMI Bug (Bmpcc)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Yes, I found it hard to believe also, but this is the published specification by the HDMI Consortium.
    Bit like I previously pointed out, the HDMI, let alone the Micro version has no business being used for anything other than a monitor connection, and not even that on professional video cameras or recorders, where reliability is required. Using HDMI to connect to a video recorder is an accident waiting to happen.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 11-23-2017 at 01:09 AM.

2. #32 Micro HDMI 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Yes, I found it hard to believe also, but this is the published specification by the HDMI Consortium.
    Bit like I previously pointed out, the HDMI, let alone the Micro version has no business being used for anything other than a monitor connection, and not even that on professional video equipment, where reliability is required. Using HDMI to connect to a video recorder is an accident waiting to happen.
    Cheers
    Hello Guys , yes , we can spend our life discussing about Hdmi / Micro Hdmi not being professional connectors , which is true . A small SDI Coaxial connector would certainly be the best solution , but BNC connectors are rather big .. Something like SMA Connectors would be a solution . Anyway , the Pocket is what it is , a very nice camera for the price , small , nice Color Space , good DR . So the best is to find a solution to avoid fragility problems .. I am using a cage , and made ( not hard to do .. ) a very robust " clamp " out of a thick piece of Aluminum , solidly screwed on the cage with two 3 mm diameter screws .. A short cable is used to go to the screen or Viewfinder , and I consider this as part of the camera , I never remove it .. Due to the thickness of the device , the connector cannot move in any direction .. same for the power connector .. If some day the short cable dies , I just have to replace it .. You'll find hereunder a picture of my very simple solution ..

IMG_1620RS.jpg

Have a nice Day / Mike

Cool, can you make me one?

4. #34 Hdmi clamp .. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Cool, can you make me one?
    Hello TAIKONAUT , good morning . Well , I wouldn't , but you have the Idea .. It is very easy to do , once the camera is in the cage and well blocked ( it should not move or rotate ) , you take a small Transparency to mark the positions of the Micro Hdmi , the Power connectors , and the locations of the screws , then you report that on a thick piece of aluminum , and you just need a Metal Saw , a drilling machine , and a file to adjust correctly .. depending of what kind of HDMI Male connector you use , its thickness .. and you adjust with a file .. needs a bit of " Elbow Grease " .. but easy to make .. You'll find hereunder another picture of the " system " ..

IMG_1618SZ.jpg

A smart idea for the company designing the camera would be to place two threaded holes around the micro Hdmi connector , enabling Third Party designers to make special clamps .. it would not cost much , would not add to the size of the camera , and would be very practical .. Just my Two Cents ..

Have a nice day / Mike ..

.....or we could spend days of our lives designing and building something that’s widely available for 10 dollars and has no relevance to the OPs quandary. Punch me in the face and make it stop, Calgon take me away.

To jump back in here, I'm under the impression that something like a ground loop might have been the cause. Both HDMI ports don't feel physically damaged, probably due to being clamped the whole time. I never thought I physically damaged them to begin with so I'm still pretty clueless as to what happened. I was doing a lot of testing with a fully kitted out rig when both cameras failed, however. I had a v-mount powering both camera and monitor. This is a rig that worked great for a 5 hour music video shoot without issue the week before any problems started.

I first ran into a problem with my monitor not receiving a signal via SDI (May or may not have been related). I was using a BlackMagic Micro Converter (Also powered via v-mount USB out) to get SDI out from my camera. After that using HDMI directly into the monitor worked fine for a time, then a week later my first camera's HDMI out failed. Would anyone be shocked if I said my second camera died using the same rig?

I can't say for sure, but this video is pretty much what gave me the idea. This is probably like diagnosing myself with cancer after reading WebMD to look up a cough, but it's all I've got!

7. #37 Quandary ... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    .....or we could spend days of our lives designing and building something thatís widely available for 10 dollars and has no relevance to the OPs quandary. Punch me in the face and make it stop, Calgon take me away.

Anything enabling us to use our Cameras more easily and more efficiently is Relevant ..

There is no Ten Dollars Accessory .. There are only Solutions .. There is no Ten Dollars Film Maker either ..

Quandary .. Quandary .. the only quandary I know is " To be or not to be XX... xxx " ( That is the Question )

Calgon .... ?? ... ??? I try to understand ... But I cannot ...

Any Joke , good or bad , put apart , there is an interesting and useful article on " Cinema5d " about the risks of Airbags when filming inside a car :

https://www.cinema5d.com/the-airbag-...a-driving-car/

Always good to remember .. Life is Good .. but life is better when you are in a good health and a good form ..

I am lucid and humble , I never think I know everything .. I think I know Nothing .. but I learn every day ..

Je persiste , et signe : The Pocket camera is a wonderful small camera , we could not dream of that ten years ago ,.. MERCI BLACKMAGIC ..

Maybe I am a Ten Dollars Film Maker , maybe less .. so forgive me ..

Take it easy , take it cool , enjoy Life , and have a Nice week end ..

Mike / Senior .. Tempus fugit .. unfortunately ..

Yes, you got a ground loop voltage feedback from using a single source to power the monitor and camera without a good BDS! I and others have been warning signs this since the first low cost multi tap V mont plates came out, and fried a BMCC Camera SDI port. The bottom line is Never power yiur Camera and Monitor from the same battery unless you use a good quality, high end regulated and ground isolated BDS (battery distribution plate) and not one of the Asian copies, which have poor to non existent ground isolation on the outputs.

Using one battery to power all, especially and camera and monitor interconnected with HDMI or SDI ( which adds an additional ground connection between the camera and monitor) is an accident waiting to happen with BM cameras, which lack a ground loop voltage feed protection circuit on their SDI and HDMI ports on the original cameras. Not sure of the Ursa Mini camera’s have SDI port protection, but the CBCC, BMPC, and Pocket Camera do not, all have had failures as a result of stray voltage accord the gound connections.

So the Wokden Camera cage cable clamp system and HDMI connector failure was not the issue. If you had mentioned in the firdt thread that you were using a common battery source, then we could have gotten here much sooner.

Sorry for your loss.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 11-25-2017 at 01:52 PM.

V-mounts are great but their high output is a blessing and a curse. I may have recently cooked something in my micro while using a 2.5mm instead of 2.1mm connector. My batteries are capable of a sustained 12 amp draw and the momentary draw from an arc can be much higher, that's minimum 12x the output of the power adapter. Probably a reason OEMs use dtap and XLR for DC power requirements of higher wattage. DC barrels have maybe 1 mm or 2mm at most between conductors. If it's worked in the past I'd be inclined to believe that something arced somewhere down the line through the HDMI ground and cooked the output. DC barrel connectors are actually pretty dangerous with this much juice behind them. Right now I make sure all my DC barrel connectors are patched cold and the Dtap is the last connection when powering on and the first when powering off so I never have all that juice on the other end of a DC barrel.

Good Luck

I guess I was lucky the entire time I used the Blackmagic EVF on this rig, then? I also powered that via the same D-taps. Do you have any recommendations on battery plates? I've been using the Wooden Camera V-mount plate and Battery Slide. I wouldn't mind using a similar setup to what I have if I can, but maybe with a Micro camera for 60p if I stick to the smaller cameras.