Thread: Bit by the Big, Bad HDMI Bug (Bmpcc)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Bit by the Big, Bad HDMI Bug (Bmpcc) 
    Well, it's been a good ride. I lasted over 4 years with nothing but success, praise, and adoration for this little guy. Several weeks ago, while leaving my camera rigged up in the Wooden Camera cage on a tripod, the HDMI port on my Pocket camera decided to die of old age (or something). So, after snagging a great deal for a second hand replacement with a working port, the same exact thing happens again not even two weeks later. Both instances the camera was in a Wooden Camera cage and left alone.

I don't even know how I feel about this but it's pretty strange that I would somehow break two Pocket cameras by merely living under the same roof as them.

I service computers for many years and quite often identical equipments of the same age or batch breaks down with the same hardware fault regardless of how often they have been used. It almost as if there is a clock inside that determine when it will break down. My guess is the two Pocket cameras you have are from the same batch and the hdmi of both cameras had reach the end of life at the same time.

The HDMI port has been known as the achilles heel of the BMPCC, because it's directly soldered on the mainboard. Not even the best cage can protect from the damage that can result from an HDMI cable being pulled. Best advice is to never use the BMPCC's HDMI port.

Quote Originally Posted by paragram View Post
    The HDMI port has been known as the achilles heel of the BMPCC, because it's directly soldered on the mainboard. Not even the best cage can protect from the damage that can result from an HDMI cable being pulled. Best advice is to never use the BMPCC's HDMI port.
    If you never use it then why does it matter if it breaks?

Odd advice.

It sounds silly, but I know a DP who rigged a magnifying lens in front of the screen by about an inch and a half - giving him roughly a 5-inch view.
    Looked a little unorthodox, but it worked.

The HDMI thing is a big part of why I have always preferred to work with a BMCC as my main camera and the Pocket for all the shots where you're often not using a monitor with it anyway.

EDIT: In case anyone new to the Pocket Camera isn't aware - a dead HDMI port does NOT affect the rest of the camera and it can still be used normally.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    In case anyone new to the Pocket Camera isn't aware - a dead HDMI port does NOT affect the rest of the camera and it can still be used normally.
    Very much this! I'm most likely going to sell one of them and keep the other for vacation and personal no frills stuff. I have a very compact rig for a trip next year, so at the very least I can still get gorgeous footage while out and about. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake is a fantastic walk around lens, I've noticed.

Even though I worked off a monitor or EVF 100% of the time, the focus peaking off the screen is surprisingly good, in my opinion.

Look the HDMI port is a crappy crappy connector on any device.

It's just not designed to be used in the field. It's a consumer home format that was designed for HiFi and home theater that started getting added into production equipment. It only has a certain lifetime because when they first came up with it, they figured, how often do you unplug and re-plug your TV ?

Weirdly a lot of people really complain about the (in my view) better alternatives like the micro SDI connectors on the Video Assists, but it's why they're better.

HDMI is a flawed and compromised standard that is way too glitchy for field use in my view. It's also DATA based, so you have to have 2 way coms, handshaking, all through a tiny muti cable / connector. SDI is so much simpler, not only because the connectors are more robust.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    SDI is so much simpler, not only because the connectors are more robust.

JB
    I agree 100%. On my (admittedly comically large) rig, I had the HDMI output looped into a Blackmagic Mini Converter to get dual SDI out. That was Velcro'd to the back of the battery plate and life was golden for a long time...Until it wasn't, but it is what it is. I knew eventually something like this could happen so it's not really a surprise more than an annoyance.

9. #9 Bmpcc hdmi port .. My two cents .. 
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    Very much this! I'm most likely going to sell one of them and keep the other for vacation and personal no frills stuff. I have a very compact rig for a trip next year, so at the very least I can still get gorgeous footage while out and about. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake is a fantastic walk around lens, I've noticed.

Even though I worked off a monitor or EVF 100% of the time, the focus peaking off the screen is surprisingly good, in my opinion.
    My TWO CENTS ...

Hello People Can fly .. strange problem .. did you check whether something Common would be the cause , Connector , Adaptor or else ? Always be careful , I know that , with some connectors like Firewire connectors , a damaged connector can damage everything you connect to it ..

In the following Youtube Video you can see how the BMPCC is made .. the small Hdmi port is ground soldered on only one side of the Pcb .. so does not like mechanical stress .. and the small tracks on the pcb are very fragile ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4_7j51o8w

At some point in the video you can see the small Hdmi square chipset , it is reversed but I could read " ADV7524 A " , which is an Analog Devices chipset , I found the datasheet here : http://www.analog.com/media/en/techn...s/ADV7524A.pdf

So , I think there are two possible causes : Hdmi port unsoldered or mechanically damaged , or the Chipset is Dead .. Those chips don't like hotplugging or Esd ( electrostactic discharge ) . A skilled electronician/technician could certainly fix that , an hot air desoldering tool must be used to unsolder the chip , with cautions not to unsolder other components around , and a powerful magnifier and very thin soldering iron to solder the new chip .. Of course , as in any surgery , there are risks .. I would not do it for someone else .. but for my one cameras I would at least try it ..

AGAIN .. ONLY MY TWO CENTS ... Yes , People can fly .. but do not forget " Gear Down " before landing .... ..

So , for you and everyone else , have a nice week end , with my Best Regards from France ..

Mike ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    If you never use it then why does it matter if it breaks?
    A broken HDMI port on a Pocket means a broken mainboard. In most cases, the camera will be dead or nearing the end of its life when this has happened.