Thread: B-cam advice needed

1. #1 B-cam advice needed 
    I'm working on a music documentary and need some advice on purchasing a b-cam.

My main camera is my Ursa Mini 4K. I generally bring lots of light, but I will be shooting some low(er) light stuff like concerts and gloomy hallways of a venue. Previously, I've owned both the pocket and the micro. Although I like them, there really single purpose machines. So, I need something that can double as a stills camera for my other work and that I can use in conjunction with my Video Assist when shooting film.

Anyways, what I'm looking for in a camera:
    - Can shoot stills
    - Matchable with Ursa Mini 4K (possibly by using a LUT)
    - EF mount (or adaptable to EF)
    - Clean HDMI out for my Video Assist (when viewing and/or when filming)
    - Under $500 (second-hand is fine)

What I've got my eyes on so far: Panasonic GH3 (cheap), Panasonic G7, Sony A6300 (though a little more expensive)...

Any thoughts and experiences on these or other camera's?

Hey Ruben,
    The GH3 is not 4K and until you get to the GH4, they're hard to match. The G7 is the baby GH4 with 4K UHD support. I have a G7 and for what you are looking to pay, this will be the closes you'll get to match shots with the BMD. The ISO goes to 6400 but it will start getting noise at 1600. You can send clean HDMI out to the video assist but it will block out the on camera display. That's fine because you'll just monitor on the VA. The coded is too compress so I suggest recording it off the VA too in ProRes. Get yourself a metabone EF to MFT and you can use your EF lenses. Use a fast glass and with the focal reducer of the metabone, you'll get a bit more stop. That way, you don't worry about low light at 800 or 1600. I stay away from cheap Sony cameras like the A6300. I have a few of them and they break easily.

Did you consider renting?

Ruben, if you have the VA 4K 7- inch model, consider getting a BM Micro Studio Camera 4K, with the new Firmware update, native ISO is now 400 and gain is very useable up to 800, and acceptable with 1600. Should match the UM 4K nicely. Add the Metabones BMPCC EF Speed Booster and you can use your existing lenses also.
    Cheers

Thanks for the replies!

I've considered renting. However, renting a GH4 at BudgetCam (they don't rent a G7) is € 30 per day. I can get a G7 second-hand for € 350. I've planned a dozen shoots, plus there's more photo work coming, so for me renting seems not too good a deal. And the Micro Studio option is very interesting, but I don't see it as a stills camera (I know I can timelapse and use those, but it doesn't handle as a stills camera).

Any more thoughts besides the G7 (or GH4)?