Thread: Camera Update 4.7

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Why do you need high DR to represent a low DR scene? Better sensitivity for sure, but high DR in a low DR scene is just wasted data allocation.
    And that too. The Studio Micro camera is only ISO 400 for anything reasonable am I right?
    Although I'm doing live streaming I will also be recording because client want the footage and I also be shooting high DR without the log look.

With the cold of winter setting in I took a day to compare the 4.7 and 2.7 camera updates on the Micro Studio. As expected the base ISO of the camera hasn't changed what was 0db is now -12db. I don't think anything above 0 now is very usable without noise reduction especially when shooting 4k, shooting HD the camera is about a stop cleaner. What is nice is that they corrected the WB presets and cooled the image off a little, it was always too warm before, stretched out the blacks giving about a half stop of perceived dynamic range down at the bottom at the cost of a little more noise, and desaturated the color a little. All good choices in my opinion. When working with footage from this camera that's almost the exact same treatment I would give the footage. Curves to stretch the blacks, temp to shift the WB, and desaturate a touch as the colors could get a little fluorescent before the update. Good Stuff!

So what's up with this camera? I haven't followed post-4.7, but I'm assuming there's still no workflow available for the RAW?

Howie - if you don't mind me asking - are you able to post a clip or two? Your notes sound good.

(P.S. Are you now able to dial in WB or at least have more options than the large jumps in temperature as before?)

The only thing this thing needs is 4K/60p.

Still no workflow for raw but I don't even know what the point would be. It's 12 bit linear, while you might get an extra stop and change of DR, the data increase is going to be massive to the tune of 6 Gbps. If I wanted a raw/log workflow I'd be using the micro cinema. Under the new firmware I get a solid 9+ stops which is good for a Rec709 camera that doesn't have a knee or black stretch.

These are a couple grabs from my test that illustrate the meat and potatoes of the update so you can draw your own conclusions. The lights are roughly 5900k at 3400lux.

2.7 100IRE_1.1.1.jpg

4.7 100IRE_1.3.1.jpg

2.7 20IRE_1.5.1.jpg

4.7 20IRE_1.7.1.jpg

I mean, in terms of the bandwidth needed to record at 23.976p you’re looking at a little under 300MBps, which isn’t that tough with modern SSDs.

Where do you get that figure? The 4k stream is 10 bit uncompressed, which @ 30p is literally the definition of the 6Gbps interface. Wouldn't 24p only drop it down to 4.8Gbps?

Which is all academic for me, if you want a raw workflow log is a much more efficient container, literally half of the data is the last stop with very little data allocated to the shadows.

It'll be fun to experiment with for sure but I have my doubts that the workflow will justify the results. I used to record standard def uncompressed back in the day at 270 Mbps but every since HD rolled around it mostly been Pro-Res. I just don't think anyone needs that much information to get where they're going with the image. Certainly not from a $1300 camera.