Thread: Juice box battery 2.0 fried my HDMI ports on BMMCC and Video assist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Battery 2.0 fried my HDMI ports on BMMCC and Video assist 
    UPDATE: Juicebox is incredible and instantly said they will be replacing my equipment.

I recently got a video assist and BMMCC and ordered two juice box 2.0 batteries. I noticed the cable to my assist was not a great fit and shut off at the slightest touch(The Official ac cable fits perfect) so I emailed them to get a replacement and to order a Y cable as I was running each device on a dedicated battery. They told me that the cables bundled with the batteries I purchased were actually not sized correctly and they were getting in a new batch and would ship them out to me free of charge in a week.

I get a new single right angle cable and it's a PERFECT fit to my monitor, but the I try their Y cable and well...here is the email I just sent them

I have a pretty huge problem here. I received your Y cable (The newer version with a better connection) and a right angle cable as I was having connection issues with your previous cable having a very bad connection with the BMD video assist monitor causing the monitor to lose connection with the slightest touch to the cable.

The right angle cable you sent me is a perfect fit. it is just like the black magic ac adapter. no connection issues with monitor whatsoever with that. I was very pleased.

I plug the Y cable in to my BMMCC and Video assist and they both come on using your Juice box 2.0 batteries, but just like before with that y cable (just like the last) The slightest bump turns the monitor off. You can tell it is not a good connection visually as well.

I then just turn the monitor on again with the Y cable and sparks shoot out of the ac port of the monitor where the y cable is inserted. Now the Hdmi ports on both the BMMCC and black magic assist do not function. I plugged both up with official power cords and they power on, but there is no image displayed. Tried multiple HDMI cables and monitors. The camera can still record footage, but there is now way to actually use the camera.

It appears the loose connection in the cables and sudden lose gain of power has shorted out components of both my camera and monitor.

Have you had this happen before? What can we do in a case like this where your product fried my gear.

Thank you, Logan.

Anyone else have this or other issues with juicebox?
    Last edited by Logan Myers; 11-11-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Logan, JuiceLink is only going to replace your battery or cables under their warranty. No one warranties incidental damage caused to other ewuipment as the result of use and/or misuse of the equipment in question.

That said, I and others have repeatedly warned against connecting a camera and an accessory together with a direct Y cable or other non regulated/isolated adapter. While this might work in many cases, it is an accident waiting to happen, like your issue. You should only connect a camera and accessories like a monitor with either separate power sources, or with one power source using a isolated and/or regulated power distribution system, Never with a direct connection like a Y cable, and especially one with a bad ground connection issue.

BM may fix the camera under its warranty, but you are out one Video Assist. Als you discovered, trying to save a nickel with cheap power so,unions like the Y cable, just cost you a bunch of $$$! I am sorry for your loss, but this has been repeatedly discussed and warned against in this and the BM Forum. Next time do your research first, then mice forward with a more informed decision.
    Cheers

I have never heard it recommended to not use a Y cable in my life or on this thread. I have seen it brought up many times that this is what people do with this set up and the company itself even makes a cable for such things. In this case the exact setup I have.

If i heard this was dangerous or came across any info on that I would have never done this. All I see is people saying is they run cam and assist with a Y cable all over threads. I wish I could have know this before.

I was also not trying to save a nickel. I have two batteries, but everywhere i look people just use one to power both. In cases when using a ronin m have two big batteries is not helping. I assumed this was common practice.

Please, if there is a safe way to run both of these with one battery I would love to know. The last thing i was doing was trying to cheap out.

The monitor does not have a bad ground. It is a cable issue that they knew they had and and sent out replacements.

Ironically enough when i google " is a y cable safe bmcuser" it pulls up two threads started by me in the past talking about what y cable to get and if it's possible. Not a single person said anything negative. Thanks for stopping by now? Lol
    Last edited by Logan Myers; 11-11-2017 at 03:37 PM.

UPDATE.

Juicelink is the most incredible company I have ever dealt with guys.

Thier response to my email was telling me they are going to replace all my equipment asap and that they have never heard of a single issue of the splitter causing any issues with these two items.

so, I am not out a monitor or camera due to these incredible guys backing up their product 110%.

I feel very lucky.
    Last edited by Logan Myers; 11-11-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Before this I've never seen anyone warn against using a y cable directly from a battery. Even in the entire v lock battery thread no one suggested that a v lock battery running d tap y cable may be a problem.

As to the problem, I know in the case of my smallhd dp4 it runs from a centre positive 2.1mm DC cable where I believe that BMMCC runs from a 2.5mm DC cable. So the difference may be similar with the video assist? I'm not sure.

I'd love to know exactly what caused this and how to avoid it. I think something to regulate power is a good idea. But surely we should be able to run 2 things off a single battery right? I've heard that many people do it even with the small swit battery, so what's the difference there?

I'd plead the case to both parties. Maybe try different HDMI cables, maybe try to get them to respond through a pc connection. There might be some way to re jump start their connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Before this I've never seen anyone warn against using a y cable directly from a battery. Even in the entire v lock battery thread no one suggested that a v lock battery running d tap y cable may be a problem.

As to the problem, I know in the case of my smallhd dp4 it runs from a centre positive 2.1mm DC cable where I believe that BMMCC runs from a 2.5mm DC cable. So the difference may be similar with the video assist? I'm not sure.

I'd love to know exactly what caused this and how to avoid it. I think something to regulate power is a good idea. But surely we should be able to run 2 things off a single battery right? I've heard that many people do it even with the small swit battery, so what's the difference there?

I'd plead the case to both parties. Maybe try different HDMI cables, maybe try to get them to respond through a pc connection. There might be some way to re jump start their connection.
    Exactly, I see nothing about people having trouble doing such a thing, but now I am terrified.

I have tried everything. plugging up PC's, game consoles, multiple monitors to both devices and i get nothing. I noticed the monitor now just runs the fans at full blast now and you can not turn it off with the button. So I'd say it's just toast. The camera I plugged up to so many diff tvs, and PC monitors, nothing, but i can still record footy blind.

Most likely It was bad soldering somewhere and it shorted out.

Just something to note is most BMD products do not have reverse polarity protection circuitry (no diode on the input)

A Y cable is fine as long as it's made well and of proper gauge, I would Personal use Multitaps (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Tap_Multi.html) but either that are well made have no more inherent risk just from using them, with common sense.

Sounds like you just got one with a manufacturing defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Myers View Post
    UPDATE.

Juicelink is the most incredible company I have ever dealt with guys.

Thier response to my email was telling me they are going to replace all my equipment asap and that they have never heard of a single issue of the splitter causing any issues with these two items.

so, I am not out a monitor or camera due to these incredible guys backing up their product 110%.

I feel very lucky.
    Good on them, there was obviously an issue with their product and they rectified it. That's the nice part of buying from such a company. Meanwhile I'm here trying to run a v mount to np-f adapter plate and I'm now very concerned haha. Technically there should be no problem with it but you never know what ebay part might not be made the best.

I'm wondering if the Juice Box batteries have fuses in them.
    I had a friend wire up a cable for me from the battery of a Paul Buff Vagabond mini.
    It's more than 2x the power of the Juice Box and only cost me $89. (More with parts, charger and cables)
    But when I had my friend make the cable I made sure he put an in line spade fuse and a switch.
    It then plugs into a D-Tap extension cable.
    So it's basically a y-cable that powers my BMPC and Cineroid EVF.
    Once in a while when I touch the power plug onto the ViewFactor cage on the BMPC, and have forgotten to leave the switch off, it shorts.
    Poof. 3A fuse gone.
    But I carry spares.

Juicebox.direct is a very responsive company.
    My guess is that they want to win on their reputation.
    So far so good.
    I just bought another V-Mount from them.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine