Thread: Has any distributor picked up a feature shot on Blackmagic Cameras yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I worked on an amc show that used ursa mini pro as their 2nd unit camera. And a Disney show that used BMCC as their C cam.

I have shot with them for many years in the TV drama environment.

I recently shot "The Warriors" For ABC Australia using the Ursa Mini 4.6K
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6432854/combined

I also shot a great deal, maybe more than 30% of the FOX 21 / USA Network show "Queen Of The South" using Ursa Mini 4.6K's.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1064899/episodes?season=2

Same for the show I'm currently doing for Fox, The Resident.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6483832/combined

I have used them on many other shows in the last 5 years, but none more so than these current ones.

JB

So you do not feel there is a prejudice in the industry against Black Magic cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Denjin Zaboga View Post
    So you do not feel there is a prejudice in the industry against Black Magic cameras?
    There is from practitioners.

I don’t think “distributors” care. They only care if they can sell your film or show and make money from it.

Which one are you asking about ?

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    There is from practitioners.

I don’t think “distributors” care. They only care if they can sell your film or show and make money from it.

Which one are you asking about ?

JB
    +1. JB hit it right on the head. "Distributors" really do not care what camera was used. They look at the potential of the film selling, period. The Practitioners (DP, Camera dept., uninformed producers and directors who listen to their peers and DP) are the ones who are prejudice. They are either playing it safe so they keep their jobs or keeping up with the Arri and RED jones.

Lately, I'm noticing that BMD is putting less emphasis on the Cinema industry. I think they are betting themselves to be in the Broadcast (ENG) market. I wonder what future there is in BMD with the Cinema industry unless they really put a lot of effort in telling the practitioners they are as good as the Arris and REDs.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Lately, I'm noticing that BMD is putting less emphasis on the Cinema industry. I think they are betting themselves to be in the Broadcast (ENG) market.
    Blackmagic has always been primarily in the broadcast market. This year they've shown that they haven't forgotten their original customer base. At the same time we got the Ursa Mini Pro (their best cinema camera to date) and a great update for Resolve, so I'd say that Blackmagic is currently doing a great job of balancing their cinema products with their broadcast products.

The big change I've notice with BM is that they are now playing everything close to the chest. They are announcing products the moment that they are ready for release. There are no more months & months of discussion about an upcoming product. It's just 'BAM!' here you go.

After the Ursa Mini release debacle tarnished their reputation I can't blame BM. If not for that I can guarantee that they would have announced several new cameras & gear by now.

ENG, broadcast and events is a much bigger market than cinema / narrative drama.

Even an individual event needs many cameras. Cinema is usually one.

There’s just a lot more business in the broadcast sector. Pretty sure Sony only made 300 or so F35s. But how many broadcast cameras have they made ?

JB

I don't dispute that they have a larger market in Broadcast. As an Indie filmmaker, BMD has brought that sweet spot between cinematic color science and affordability to narrative filmmakers. I'm concern that may not be in their cards anymore and we don't have that affordability factor like we've seen from all their previous cinema camera products. Hopefully, the UM46P won't be their last.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I don't dispute that they have a larger market in Broadcast. As an Indie filmmaker, BMD has brought that sweet spot between cinematic color science and affordability to narrative filmmakers. I'm concern that may not be in their cards anymore and we don't have that affordability factor like we've seen from all their previous cinema camera products. Hopefully, the UM46P won't be their last.
    I bet it wont, even if broadcast is their main focus roving/street news crews still need Cams that fit in the studio work flow seamlessly

If I wanted an ENG cam I would look at Sony and every other manufacturers other than Blackmagic.
    BMD found a market in low cost cinema cameras.