Thread: BMPC 4K or BM Usra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Because besides that (if you're not considering the physical differences - XLRs, bigger screen, etc.), the images are exactly the same. Same sensor, same native 400 ISO, same FPN @800...but the V2 sensor on the URSA supposedly removed the "black sun spot". BMPC sensors are all V1.
    I wouldn't call the images the Same, they are not. Not only is there differences and V1 vs V2 the color science blackmagic uses in the cameras has changed greatly from the BMPC 4k to the Ursa mini line.

V1 and V2 had nothing to do with a color science change.

That swap took place long before any colors were changed in the 4K Mini and even before the 4.6K was shipping. It's only during all those firmware updates well after the 4.6K Mini was released that the colors might have changed only on the 4K URSA Mini, but not the big URSA.

The BMPC V1 and big URSA V1/V2 produce exactly the same images.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I agree when it comes to the Ursa Mini 4.6K. I think the UMP/4.6K is by far the best sub-$10K camera on the market. I'm also not a fan of Sony's FS5 or even the FS7. I dislike their sensor & color science.

The Ursa Mini 4K, on the other hand, is an entirely different conversation. It's first generation sensor tech, and its negatives far outweigh its positives. Unless you keep it under studio lights 24/7 it's an impractical camera. Its low light capabilities are awful, and the FPN is painful.

Most shooters are going to use their camera for far more than full blown productions. Many clients just want low budget productions that don't allow for extra light rental or extra crew. A large chunk of my clients are small businesses and startups that can only afford an interview shoot with b-roll. Many times that b-roll is office shots that I can't light for, so I have to use available light. The UM4K makes these shots look drab & moody at best, when it needs to be bright with positive energy. And if the FPN shows its ugly face I'm screwed.

I believe that the GH5 & Atomos combo is the better & more practical camera rig. The color science is far better than what you'll get from the FS5 (even with Atomos recording Raw). The low light capabilities are fantastic. The 5-axis image stabilization is to die for. And the overall IQ is nearly on par with the UM4K. What the GH5/Atomos offers over the UM4K outweighs what the UM4K offers over the GH5/Atomos.

I'm purchasing the Ursa Mini Pro soon, and I have complete confidence that the GH5 will be a great B camera for it. And I have a feeling that on those low budget shoots I mentioned earlier I'll still be primarily using the GH5 for all the B-roll.
    I got the Sony FS5 free from school and yes, it sucks very badly. I only use it for YouTube videos and class projects. I never used the GH5. I use the Sony A7Rii for photography purposes only. Sony's color science suck when it comes down to film. I've had the Ursa Mini 4.6K since it came out and I had to return the original due to FPN but my second one is pretty clean. I think you're getting the FPN due to underexposure and since it's bad in low light, I can see it affecting your projects. You have to overexpose the Ursa Mini's by 1-2 stops to avoid FPN in the shadows. I work with small businesses and documentary work and I use a Dracast light kit and it allows me to shoot indoors at ISO 800. The kit ranges from $500-$700 and they have a CRI of 95. I'm going to rent the GH5 and test it. If I like it, I'll buy it to go with my ronin-m. Here is a link to the list kit. They are LED500's. I bought a LED1000 to add to the kit and I love it. Also, you can try the BMMCC with the metabones speedbooster. That's a cheap option that works for most. It shoots 1080p but at 10 bit raw and that's good enough for cinema.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/mode/edu

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    V1 and V2 had nothing to do with a color science change.

That swap took place long before any colors were changed in the 4K Mini and even before the 4.6K was shipping. It's only during all those firmware updates well after the 4.6K Mini was released that the colors might have changed only on the 4K URSA Mini, but not the big URSA.

The BMPC V1 and big URSA V1/V2 produce exactly the same images.
    Didn't mean to imply the color science change was related to the v1 to v2 sensor..

Just didn't want him to pick up an ursa mini 4k on current version and expect it to match the BMPC 4k or URSA. The older ones will have more of a green tint.

I personally have a Ursa mini 4k I love it. It's done great they do have FPN issues in low light, but they aren't low light cameras. I light for most things we've also done an outdoor night festival/concert with them and not had major FPN (due to the stage lighing giving it enough light).

I bought a Red Scarlet-W to upgrade to but now, I think I may sell my Ursa mini 4k and upgrade to a Ursa mini pro for smaller projects as well.

If you're going to do an Ursa, you may also have to consider whether your current gear will work with it. Take your tripod, for example. Will it be able to handle the extra weight? The BMPC4k is about 3.5lbs without a lens. A full size Ursa will be over 20 lbs. You're going to need a pretty hefty tripod to handle that. Even an Ursa Mini will require a slightly heftier tripod.

I understand where you're coming from. You want the slow motion, and to get that you need a different camera.

I still shoot with the big URSA 4K V1. You have to learn and know your camera and if you do it will serve you well. The weight does not bother me as I am always on sticks, and I got to manage the green tint easily now by lighting and exposing correctly. An external monitor with false color does wonders for it. Good luck to you.

I had the URSA V2, the Ursa mini 4k, and I just recently bought the ursa mini pro. After using the Pro I would not even consider buying the cameras with the 4k sensor, I thought it was good before but after seeing the 4.6k in person especially after the black calibration it is miles ahead of the 4k sensor.

I would agree overall the 4.6k sensor is much better. But..that global shutter is absolutely GORGEOUS in motion. On a steadicam you can get some really breathtaking shots

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I would agree overall the 4.6k sensor is much better. But..that global shutter is absolutely GORGEOUS in motion. On a steadicam you can get some really breathtaking shots
    +1. Amen to that Global Shutter on the URSA 4K.