Thread: BMPC 4K or BM Usra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMPC 4K or BM Usra 
    I currently own a Bmpcc and a BM4k Production camera. Christmas is around the corner and I was thinking should I sell my 4k Camera and get an URSA. If so why should I make this change?

I had a BMPC in 2014 and asked myself the same thing when the URSA was released later that year.

The only question was if I needed slow-motion and the answer was absolutely.

Because besides that (if you're not considering the physical differences - XLRs, bigger screen, etc.), the images are exactly the same. Same sensor, same native 400 ISO, same FPN @800...but the V2 sensor on the URSA supposedly removed the "black sun spot". BMPC sensors are all V1.

If you've never worked with the camera, you should really test it before you buy it. It's heavy for most people.

If you're talking about the URSA Mini...all of the above applies to the 4K version besides the physical specs. 4.6K is a different conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I had a BMPC in 2014 and asked myself the same thing when the URSA was released later that year.

The only question was if I needed slow-motion and the answer was absolutely.

Because besides that (if you're not considering the physical differences - XLRs, bigger screen, etc.), the images are exactly the same. Same sensor, same native 400 ISO, same FPN @800...but the V2 sensor on the URSA supposedly removed the "black sun spot". BMPC sensors are all V1.

If you've never worked with the camera, you should really test it before you buy it. It's heavy for most people.

If you're talking about the URSA Mini...all of the above applies to the 4K version besides the physical specs. 4.6K is a different conversation.

I do need slow motion. it's been a huge necessity. I'm concerned about the ergonomics of the URSA being it is a pretty compact system no need to rig it out. At least so it seems. is that true? I love cameras that are almost ready to go out of he box.

The URSA is not compact at all...it's bigger than most cameras (it's like a broadcast camera) and with a lens and other accessories, it could weigh over 22-28lbs. The body alone with nothing is about 17lbs.

The URSA Minis are of course more compact and weigh less, but still nothing like a mirrorless/DSLR or even your BMPC.

Are you interested in the big URSA or the URSA Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The URSA is not compact at all...it's bigger than most cameras (it's like a broadcast camera) and with a lens and other accessories, it could weigh over 22-28lbs. The body alone with nothing is about 18lbs.

The URSA Minis are of course more compact and weigh less, but still nothing like a mirrorless/DSLR or even your BMPC.

Are you interested in the big URSA or the URSA Mini?

Usra Mini is my better option but the Original wasn't a bad idea until you mentioned it not so compact design.

Rent them if possible...see how you personally feel about the cameras.

You should go with the GH5 & Atomos Ninja combo. You get the same dynamic range, solid colors, 10bit prores 4:2:2, far better low light performance, amazing in-camera stabilization, & record to cheaper 2.5 SSD drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    You should go with the GH5 & Atomos Ninja combo. You get the same dynamic range, solid colors, 10bit prores 4:2:2, far better low light performance, amazing in-camera stabilization, & record to cheaper 2.5 SSD drives.
    Worlds apart dude. Doesn't even compare.

I have the BMPC, the mini 4k would have been ideal. None were for sale used at the time though. I wish I had been able to get that inatead. 60 fps would have made a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    The GH5 doesn't compare to the Ursa Mini 4K, especially the 4.6K. Blackmagic's color science is better by a long shot. I don't have the GH5 but I have the Sony FS5 and A7Rii and I use the Atomos Shogun Inferno and even shooting raw on the Inferno, my Ursa Mini 4.6K kills it. It kills it so much that I sold my Inferno. You can rig the Ursa Mini 4K and 4.6K to shoot 10bit raw on a SSD for under $99.

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    The GH5 doesn't compare to the Ursa Mini 4K, especially the 4.6K. Blackmagic's color science is better by a long shot. I don't have the GH5 but I have the Sony FS5 and A7Rii and I use the Atomos Shogun Inferno and even shooting raw on the Inferno, my Ursa Mini 4.6K kills it. It kills it so much that I sold my Inferno. You can rig the Ursa Mini 4K and 4.6K to shoot 10bit raw on a SSD for under $99.
    I agree when it comes to the Ursa Mini 4.6K. I think the UMP/4.6K is by far the best sub-$10K camera on the market. I'm also not a fan of Sony's FS5 or even the FS7. I dislike their sensor & color science.

The Ursa Mini 4K, on the other hand, is an entirely different conversation. It's first generation sensor tech, and its negatives far outweigh its positives. Unless you keep it under studio lights 24/7 it's an impractical camera. Its low light capabilities are awful, and the FPN is painful.

Most shooters are going to use their camera for far more than full blown productions. Many clients just want low budget productions that don't allow for extra light rental or extra crew. A large chunk of my clients are small businesses and startups that can only afford an interview shoot with b-roll. Many times that b-roll is office shots that I can't light for, so I have to use available light. The UM4K makes these shots look drab & moody at best, when it needs to be bright with positive energy. And if the FPN shows its ugly face I'm screwed.

I believe that the GH5 & Atomos combo is the better & more practical camera rig. The color science is far better than what you'll get from the FS5 (even with Atomos recording Raw). The low light capabilities are fantastic. The 5-axis image stabilization is to die for. And the overall IQ is nearly on par with the UM4K. What the GH5/Atomos offers over the UM4K outweighs what the UM4K offers over the GH5/Atomos.

I'm purchasing the Ursa Mini Pro soon, and I have complete confidence that the GH5 will be a great B camera for it. And I have a feeling that on those low budget shoots I mentioned earlier I'll still be primarily using the GH5 for all the B-roll.