Thread: Do you use a X-Rite Colorchecker ? (*shooting in Raw with BMPCC).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Do you use a X-Rite Colorchecker ? (*shooting in Raw with BMPCC). 
    Good afternoon,

I'm considering purchasing an X-Rite Colorchecker card (the video version).

Do people here use them? ... up till now we've graded and video productions using Lumetri in Premiere and have always been happy with the results.

Premiere does'nt have the automatic colour chart match system that DaVinci does, instead you have to work to achieve similer benefits manually using the vectorscopes.

The upcoming shoot will be with a single BMPCC, shooting in RAW.

Should I spend a 100 - 150 on a X-Rite Colorchecker, (do I go for the passport or the large variety?).

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

Jon
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

Even in resolve the automatic chart reader is only approximative in it's results. Sometimes it's gets you closer, sometimes it makes the corrections that follow more difficult.Personally I think the white grey and black stripes are actually more useful. You can balance each of these out in your waveforms and have a neutral starting point.
    Remember, where you place your chart in the scene makes a difference too though.
    If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

In Micro and Pocket cameras RAW colors are very different from ProRes colors. First i have odd results with ColorChecker but later i figure how to use it. It works better when timeline set to wide gamut color spaces and Log gamma curve. You should also setup preferences in Resolve Color Match tab according timeline preferences. As for me Panasonic V-gamut or Sony S-Log works best as wide gamut color spaces. And RED Log3G10 is great Log gamma curve to work.
    Overall i suggest always work in wide gamut with log curve and add Color Space Transform Node with Gamma and Saturation mapping turned ON in the end of the chain to convert to Rec709 color space for export and monitoring.

Actually you can just create few reference ColorChecker shots in uniform daylight conditions and use them to correct and fix dimmed RAW colors in all footage. This gives you clear starting point for color correction and will match RAW colors very close to ProRes.

P.S. ColorChecker usually can be found 50% price at Black Friday.

Here are my test results with BMMCC i posted many times on forums:

Last edited by shijan; 10-30-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Another, slightly backward, way of using the color checker is with the x-rite software that comes with it. This is involves opening a DNG with the color checker in shot in the x-rite software. It will then automatically generate a camera profile and ask you to name it (give it a descriptive name) that will be available in adobe camera raw for processing the raw footage. Once you've done this open up a representative DNG for your shot in camera raw, apply the camera profile that you've just saved, and make any other corrections that you want to at this stage, then export to a high quality intermediate for editing (cineform or prores). I realise people will probably hate on me for suggesting that you process footage in after effects with adobe camera raw but despite the very slow processing it does have a few advantages including being able to deal with chromatic aberration and, for the photographers, being able to use a very familiar tool set.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    I would never shoot without it
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

It sounds insane but there are two different implementations of RAW input colors in Resolve. To get correct colors from RAW you need to bypass input color space transform in project settings. So probably it will be less work for ColorChecker now:

Yes, I at least shoot one BM Raw clip with it for each scene and use it to color check settings, then I apply to all shots that were taken for that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamersproductions View Post
    I would never shoot without it
    I would never shoot with it

The last thing I want on my material is realistic color.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    I would never shoot with it

The last thing I want on my material is realistic color.
    Have to agree with that

Perhaps rather try to keep a basic consistency of lighting and settings for each scene.

Thanks for the replies... (*I'm not sure if the last two comments are sarcasm or fact... the smiley faces are throwing me off.)

I've since bought two passport checkers... the first one came with a faulty hinge (which at first I wasn't sure if it was designed this way).... blooming hard to open and nigh on impossible to shut without the plastic case bending close to the point of breaking.

I sent it back and got a new one, al is right in the world. I'll do some tests with it today to get up to speed.
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com