Thread: Help 'again' on render output.

1. #1 Help 'again' on render output. 
    Hey guys got a project coming up. Shooting on the Micro at 1080p Prores HQ. It's a must we shoot in prores as time is of the essence (48 hour film project).

I'm doing the grade in davinci on a PC, what codec should i render out as for the master?

edit - Atm the situation is, the editor is editing as we go for the rough on a Mac laptop. However I'm grading on a PC. So it'l have to be going from recorded in Prores HQ to PC for the grade then swapped with the Mac files for final render. So I'd need to ensure it's something the Mac can read no problems.

Another question from doing some tests is that the AVI uncompressed and cineform formats seem to be coming out really underexposed in comparison to DNx-HR 10/12 bit 444 which comes out correctly exposed. I can adjust the exposure again but that's not preferred.

edit- Quicktime uncompressed 10bit works and doesn't shift the gamma, it also is essentially exactly the same as the original. Only downside is a 3 second test of Prores HQ originally 83mb is now 783mb which may quickly get out of hand space wise.
    What would be my second best option here?
    Last edited by Ryanite; 10-30-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Second best option is grade on a Mac.

Would Grass Valley work?

Grading on a Mac isn't a bad idea but it may not be possible if the grade needs to be done at the same time as some of the edit, considering the time limit. But I will see if I can source a Mac laptop. If I can would you recommend exporting it as prores hq again?

I'll have a look at grass valley, do you know if it's Mac compatible?

From a few quick tests so far while quicktime uncompressed keeps the best quality dnx hr 444 10 and 12 bit a very close while keeping the files down. 83mb ends up being 170mb.

Uncompressed is hard on hard drives. It kind of why ProRes was invented. It's easier than its ever been but in a 48 Hour fest every second counts. Doesn't your PC import ProRes but not export it?

As someone who lived through this a few times, I would recommend just doing a really good grade of all the footage in resolve with something as close to the look you want, then render out to a decent flavor of DNX. Get a couple hours sleep while that is rendering. Then Give that to the editor and be done with it, don't bother with round tripping, you don't have time for it. They can tweak the grade in editing a bit if they need to.

I give the mac editors the free DNX driver that you can get from the Avid site, never had an issue. they could always play it back.
    Use hard drive formatted on a PC ( NEVER A MAC ) for ex fat and you will be able to run them back and forth between both OS's with no issue.
    "Senior Member"???... Really???...
    Not to be taken seriously...by anyone.....

So your workflow is rough cut-mac, color-PC, final cut-mac? Why not just wait for the final cut and grade it in ProRes when it's done? I get that time is of the essence so you could take a few reference vids and grade those then just copy the grades to the final edit. Seems like you're trying to overcomplicate it.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the input guys!

Okay I've managed to secure a mac laptop so I won't need to travel. Is going from Prores HQ and exporting as Prores HQ my best bet for the situation?