Thread: Anybody Using UHS-II SDXC Cards with BMMCC ?

1. #1 Anybody Using UHS-II SDXC Cards with BMMCC ? 
    Is anybody Using UHS-II SDXC Cards with BMMCC ? Yes, I know you won't get any more speed than a UHS-I card, and it seems like it's a waste of money, but there is one benefit - you can transfer the files from the card to computer much faster.

I'll be shooting 3:1 RAW at 60P, so this is the most stringent test of a card's mettle. Has anybody had any success doing this with a UHS-II card?

They typically don’t work. The UHSii interface is a physically different connection. UHSii cards actually have both interfaces and it’s the interface that’s faster not necessarily the media itself. Users were reporting that the technically faster UHSii cards were dropping frames on the pocket/micro.

Probably important to make sure your card reader is up to snuff, I get a nearly full spec 94MBps read and 84MBps write using a Sandisk USB-C SD card reader on a 256GB Extreme Pro UHSi. I read that 3:1 60p is actually clocking somewhere in the 60MB range so with a good reader you can still transfer 50% faster than you can record.
    Last edited by Howie Roll; 10-29-2017 at 10:50 AM.

If you're looking for a SD card available at a local store like Best Buy, then I can recommend the SanDisk - Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card. I had a 3+ hour event and only one 128GB Extreme pro SD card, and decided to gamble on this micro SD card with a SD adapter as a backup, and I recoded over 20 minutes of 60FPS 3:1 RAW with no dropped frames. Since then I've tested straight RAW at 24 fps, and a variety of Prores formats, and never lost a frame. The box lists this as speeds up to 100Mbps, and it seems to function just as well as the full size extreme pro 95, but this one isn't listed on the official compatibility list, even though from all my teste this is functions identically, with the only difference being the need to use the included SD adapter, and the case being slightly larger to hold both the adapter and the micro card.

Edited update: interesting, I just noticed that they changed the packaging to read 95MB/s, where as the one I have did claim 100MB/s...
    Edit 2: here is the Sandisk page for the card, and it still claims up to 100MB/s read & 90MB/s write. So take from it what you will. The card is excellent, and fully compatible with the Micro Cinema Camera.
    Last edited by psmovie; 10-29-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I get a nearly full spec 94MBps read and 84MBps write using a Sandisk USB-C SD card reader on a 256GB Extreme Pro UHSi. .
    Thanks, Howie. just curious, have you use that 256GB card to record 3:1 RAW at 60P? I know the 128 GB version works, but I haven't heard anything about the 256GB card.

3:1 is half the data rate of uncompressed (1.5:1) so I don't see why there would be a problem, but no, I've never used it for 60P 3:1. The only Sandisk I ever had a problem with was the 32GB and I've used all of them save the 512.

Good Luck