Thread: Resolve black background

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Resolve black background 
    Hello,

I shot this frame, but I am quite unhappy with it. I hate those tiles on the background. And I need the guy to pop more. So I want to darken the background tiles a whole lot. I already applied a vignette and a blur. But its way not enough. What would be the best way to go forward with this image?

Thanks

Have you thought making the frame portrait style? That’s if it doesn’t look too weird. You could probably fake a pan up and end the frame right above his head. You could make him stand out more in the grade as well. Is this the final grade? I’d probably embrace that sun(or light) on his face and make that hotter. Just throwing ideas.

Got a dng to share?
    Aaron Lochert

Dng! Dng!

Power Windows!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

thanks, I do not have a DNG though. I shot it 2k prores 444. I have tried a power window, I just selected some lines/curves and drew around the actor, and then dropped overall exposue of the background, but you can see clear separation lines. (No its not the final grade, but the individual shot grade.) I can maybe zoom in a bit more, if the 2K allows it.

instead of out lining the actor, pretend your are setting up a new light. So draw the lines as if it's a beam of light coming from off screen, probably from above the actor off screen. Then just feather the crap out of it until it looks blended. Maybe have it land somewhere to direct attention to the face/chest but try to make it believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    instead of out lining the actor, pretend your are setting up a new light. So draw the lines as if it's a beam of light coming from off screen, probably from above the actor off screen. Then just feather the crap out of it until it looks blended. Maybe have it land somewhere to direct attention to the face/chest but try to make it believable.
    oh yeah, this might work, maybe even in combination with the glow effect.

Power windows have controls to affect the edge blur. Also, you can put power windows on top of power windows on top of power windows.

If I was somewhere where I could stop and do this with your image, I could totally do anything you could want with that portion of the frame. It's really super easy once you see what all the window edge controls do.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I have tried lots of things yesterday. But nothing that made me smile. I will try to upload the file tonight, in case anybody wants to have a go making this image look better. I might try to add some lens flares/bokeh or something later tonight as well.