Thread: Milvus 25mm f1.4

1. #1 Milvus 25mm f1.4 
    Is this the holy grail lens for videographer?

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/10/zeis...-milvus-series

Zeiss primes always appeals to me more because of micro contrast, brightness and background seperation. Unlike the "Classic" which is plagued by CA and softness when wide open this newly designed lens is probably what I'm looking for in a Super 35mm for people shots.

Excellent lenses to be sure.

...but I am not certain that what are listed in this tech-sheet spec-sheet article are actually the things that a cinematographer always looks for when choosing lenses.

Saying one set of lenses is "better" than another without stating specifically what content is to be photographed with them is very much like telling a painter that "blue is a better color than green" without knowing what they intend to paint.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Using lenses for people, in my case models video shoot on S35 sensor I mostly settle on 25mm unconsciously so this must be the sweet focal range. The reduce lens distortion plus you can shoot up close make it a winner. Something about Zeiss prime seems to boost shadow details a lot more than other primes gives me about an additional 1/3rd of stop at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Using lenses for people, in my case models video shoot on S35 sensor I mostly settle on 25mm unconsciously so this must be the sweet focal range. The reduce lens distortion plus you can shoot up close make it a winner. Something about Zeiss prime seems to boost shadow details a lot more than other primes gives me about an additional 1/3rd of stop at least.
    Zeiss does indeed make some truly marvelous lenses. Their old Standard Speeds are still my favorite.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I see a lot of posts like this for using still glass on these cameras. How do you guys even deal with that. I imagine all of your 1st AC's hate you, as the focus throw on these things is wretched and the witness marks are pretty useless.

I know still glass is a little bit cheaper, but I can't imagine how anyone makes them work in a production environment.

How are you guys working around the limitations and making these lenses work??

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
    I see a lot of posts like this for using still glass on these cameras. How do you guys even deal with that. I imagine all of your 1st AC's hate you, as the focus throw on these things is wretched and the witness marks are pretty useless.

I know still glass is a little bit cheaper, but I can't imagine how anyone makes them work in a production environment.

How are you guys working around the limitations and making these lenses work??
    I'm a one man band and have no issue with so call still glass. Sigma recently release a set of cinema primes essentially the same glass and innards as their still lens.
    The Milvus line was partially marketed for videographers. Do you have experience with them?

I doubt most of the people sharing on this list have to worry about 1st ACs.