Thread: Steadipod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I used it IN PLACE of the gimbal, jib, and dolly
    How is it in place of a tripod? How stable with the Pocket? Can you walk away? How vertical at eye height? (My Libec HFMP leans a bit with the Pocket.)
    Last edited by Jim Simon; 10-14-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Never heard of this thing but very interesting due to how many 'modes' it can be used in. I was thinking of combining a Zhiyun Crane v2 with the Pocket but now I wonder what would be the better choice, you could probably add more weigh to the Pocket pretty easily if that is all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    How is it in place of a tripod? How stable with the Pocket? Cam you walk away? How vertical at eye height? (My Libec HFMP leans a bit with the Pocket.)
    Never tried it. It 'might' be fine, but I never trust any monopods with the feet on them after I had a mafrotto go down with one of my GH2's on it.
    Call me paranoid, but when I get my SteadyPod I will probably NEVER do that with it. LOL!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Never tried it. It 'might' be fine, but I never trust any monopods with the feet on them after I had a mafrotto go down with one of my GH2's on it.
    Call me paranoid, but when I get my SteadyPod I will probably NEVER do that with it. LOL!
    Also when you used it did you use it with the 'newer' hybrid head? One of the videos I was watching earlier (can't find it now of course) he showed how the legs fold and telescope out like more traditional sticks, though it looked like something that could be easily knocked over if you bumped into it.

Quote Originally Posted by frank10 View Post
    Ok, that makes sense.
    Heavier cameras work better because of inertia.
    Anyway it remains strange nobody out there thought of making a review testing/illustrating those advantages and comparing major time to use other gizmos... Or comparing this monopod to other monopods in stabilization.
    "Test videos" out there get so obsessed with 'The Best' and 'which one is better' and as I have seen, most test videos are rarely made by folks who work very heavily in the industry.
    If you 'test' the SteadyPod against other stabilizers head to head, it will always look bad in comparison because those videos are all about nit picking.
    I personally have a real love-hate relationship with my gimbal. Manytimes when I was DP'ing short films the setup time really interfered with the creative work flow. The SteadyPod would have eliminated that and still delivered 'steady enough' footage.

Gimbals on set are GREAT if you have a camera-tech person who can set it up for you while you're doing something else,then just hand it to you when it's time for that shot.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    Also when you used it did you use it with the 'newer' hybrid head? One of the videos I was watching earlier (can't find it now of course) he showed how the legs fold and telescope out like more traditional sticks, though it looked like something that could be easily knocked over if you bumped into it.
    Yes, the one I was using had the 'hybrid head'. Although I'm not really sure what that meant because I've never seen the older model.

Yes, the one I was using had the 'hybrid head'. Although I'm not really sure what that meant because I've never seen the older model.
    Looks like it just has finer adjustments for leveling and smoother pan/tilt action, ha.

I agree with you on normal monopods that have very short legs (quite all)...

I instead buyed a Sirui 424 with largest legs (22cm each) (Sirui models have 3 different legs length):
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_monopod.html

Definitely a rock stable solution: I put GH5 on it also with heavy lenses and Shogun over: it's solid!

I never trust any monopods with the feet on them after I had a mafrotto go down with one of my GH2's on it.
    I think that is exactly why we now have options like the HFMP, Sirui and even StediPod which have significantly larger 'feel' and offer much improved stability.