Thread: Is my footage salvageable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Is my footage salvageable? 
    I went out with the BMPCC and forgot to take an ND filter with me. My BMPCC with Sigma 18-3 only stops to 9.5. As a result everything got washed out.

Is there anything I can do to make this look normal?

Here's a DNG: http://www.classichenshin.com/bmpcc/mydng.dng

If there's anyway to fix it I'd love to know. I can use Resolve or Camera Raw. I'm new to this grading thing...Thanks

While I don't know a whole lot I'd have to go with nope. Mainly because the white objects like the truck in the shot have also clipped and theres no information to bring their details back. If you clip a section that isn't important to the focal point of your shot or film then you can often get away with blurring the over exposed part, changing it's color and trying to soften it as to not make it distracting but in this case the details of the truck are quite important. If it was only the sky that was overexposed you could even replace the sky with stock footage if it was too distracting.

It's not the worst I've ever seen...you can get some recovery out of it. If you're ever in that situation again, use the shutter speed/angle to expose (if aperture is maxed out). Not ideal, but better than losing information IMO.

Blackmagic cameras are pretty forgiving.

Recovered.jpg

Norbro, how did you manage to get that fixed?
    What shutter angle should I use if this happens again?
    Thanks, guys

You have to use software that recognizes the RAW data of your DNG files. Most people use Resolve.

I did it in Lightroom but you should get the same results with any decent program (and even better ones with more tweaking).

Your shutter angle should be at 180 most of the time unless you're going for a certain look.

If you're ever in that situation again without a ND filter and can't stop down the lens, you would lower it until the shot is exposed (there is no correct number).

And even if your screen is blown out doesn't always mean you've lost information. That's where you would use exposure tools like histograms, false color, and zebras.

For a static shot like yours above (especially with no people in it), it would have been okay to expose with the shutter, but keep in mind that any movement in the frame or camera movement will look different the lower you go with that angle as you keep losing motion blur.

P.S. I haven't used Resolve in a few years (and it's been updated several times), but you would basically lower the exposure of your shot in the raw settings of the clip.

Maybe someone more up-to-date with the software will provide you specific instructions, but I hope that helps.

The software can be very complex, and there are many other settings within the program that could help fine tune various aspects of your clip's exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's not the worst I've ever seen...you can get some recovery out of it. If you're ever in that situation again, use the shutter speed/angle to expose (if aperture is maxed out). Not ideal, but better than losing information IMO.

Blackmagic cameras are pretty forgiving.

Recovered.jpg
    Damn really good job, guess I was wrong about the truck being clipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Damn really good job, guess I was wrong about the truck being clipped.
    It's clipped in Resolve until you check the "highlight recovery" checkbox.

If this clip was locked on a tripod (or if you want to be bothered motion tracking it), masking the sky and adding some color back in isn't too difficult. That helps fool the viewer into ignoring that the wall and the white truck are the same value, when they really shouldn't be.

Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    It's clipped in Resolve until you check the "highlight recovery" checkbox.

If this clip was locked on a tripod (or if you want to be bothered motion tracking it), masking the sky and adding some color back in isn't too difficult. That helps fool the viewer into ignoring that the wall and the white truck are the same value, when they really shouldn't be.

Oh damn, good to know that the highlight recovery button really does work.For anyone interested it's located as a check box on the color section in the camera raw tab, which is the far left tab that looks like a little cinema camera. Change 'decode using' project to clip then you will be able to access the Raw values of the file, only works when shooting in raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Oh damn, good to know that the highlight recovery button really does work.
    Take it with a grain of salt. If you're clipping all three channels it can't bring any new information back. But areas where it's only clipping one or two channels, it can do a little bit of repairing mojo.
    Aaron Lochert