Thread: Aputure 300d vs Rayzr 7 300

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Aputure 300d vs Rayzr 7 300 
    So if you had to buy one light as an interview or general use keylight, what'd be your choice?
    I know theres a lot of lux @1m and lux @ 0.5m comparisons with joker 800s (which you can get if you calculate stuff in theory but will probably never see in reality) being bandied around, plus the aputure 300 seems to only get those figures with the fresnel attachment, but Im wondering if you stuck a softbox on each - which'd give you the most punch? Anyone played with both? The bowens s mount is very useful - esp as Ive a chimera pancake which might work well with the aputure - but that rayzr seems to have more kick as the beam angle isnt as wide and im.not sure how well the aputure fresnel attachment holds up? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Rozier View Post
    So if you had to buy one light as an interview or general use keylight, what'd be your choice?
    I know theres a lot of lux @1m and lux @ 0.5m comparisons with joker 800s (which you can get if you calculate stuff in theory but will probably never see in reality) being bandied around, plus the aputure 300 seems to only get those figures with the fresnel attachment, but Im wondering if you stuck a softbox on each - which'd give you the most punch? Anyone played with both? The bowens s mount is very useful - esp as Ive a chimera pancake which might work well with the aputure - but that rayzr seems to have more kick as the beam angle isnt as wide and im.not sure how well the aputure fresnel attachment holds up? What do you think?
    I have the Rayzr 7 and while I love it, I'd pick the 300d if I could choose 1. It's more versatile with the bowens mount. I have the 120d and its really nice to have a light dome, space light, fresnel, open face, - all as options.

I can tell you soon. We have 4 300s headed our way we do have two rayzr 300d's and a 120d. The 120 is exactly 1/3rd the power of the rayzr but I find the 120 to be the one I reach for versatility, very excited about the 300s. The rayzr is a big beautiful light with a lot of power. I use it outside mainly, for interior it's almost too much power other than for sunlight through window. The aperture fresnel is quite robust.

Thats great info guys, really interesting to hear your thoughts and itd be great to hear how they do against each other in terms of output Michael!

Aputure 300D power ballast is very noisy. That might be it's one negative factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Aputure 300D power ballast is very noisy. That might be it's one negative factor.
    That's disappointing. Do you have one or did you hear about this somewhere else? Curious if this is a common issue or a one-off. Thanks, Mark

I guess the silver lining with the noise is that you can use normal XLR cables which can be 50 ft if you need to hide it.

Rayzr 7 is a winner, both great lights but I dont like the separate ballast from the 300d. With interviews I often use the Rayzr 7 as keylight into a 6x6 diffusion frame as a big soft source.
    Last edited by Unknown; 10-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Hmm I only thested the aputure 300D. But for me the aputure 300D is the clear winner. the Ryzer is 1500K thungsten and the aputure 300k is 2000 thungsten equivalent. So it is brighter. I like that the ballast is seperated, so it is smaller on top of my tripods. It has V-mount, so I can use my batterys on it. + It has a bowens mount so accesoires are universal. But that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by polaroid22; 10-23-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Hi Polaroid22,

I've seen some pics showing a green cast at the edge of the light when using just the reflector, does you unit have that also ?