Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Blade Runner 2049 
    Saw this last night. Stunning. Would be a crime if it doesn't win a handful of Oscars.

Need to see it again!!

So sorry to disagree. I saw it on thursday and I was really mad at Ridley Scott. He already murdered what was left of the Alien franchise and now he had to kill the Blade Runner universe. All that was mysterious and ambiguous on the original film, was replaced by overexplaining screenplay, characters always explaining what they are feeling and letting the viewer know what he should be thinking (hate the scene between Wallace and Deckard). Even Deakins cinematography is completely off. It looks beautiful but completely wrong to the Blade runner imaginarium. Way too clean and polished. I remember the original film had a lot ot scenes in Deckard's apartament and no matter how many times I watch it, I can never describe his apartment. The cinematography never lets us fully see everything. It's always a game of light and darkness, hazy atmosphere. This new BladeRunner 2049 just looks like any other of these new Ridley Scott films (Prometheus probably with a touch of orange).

They should've never used the blade runner brand on this. Blade Runner was a demanding film. It communicates very little with the viewer (especially the director's cut) and needs a thoughtful audience to really thrive. There are no villains in Blade Runner. No good or bad thoughts. Just survivors. It's a whole different paradigm. This new blade runner movie is a classic good vs evil with little space for the same philosofical thoughts the original film invoked for so many years and still does today.

Sorry for this, i know many people are loving this film and I don't mean to disrespect other people's taste, but I am really mad Ridley Scott couldn't leave the memory of this film alone. And I'm sure other sequels and prequels and whatever are coming...
    Last edited by david evans; 10-08-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Felt the same way, reminded me of the Matrix franchise more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    So sorry to disagree. I saw it on thursday and I was really mad at Ridley Scott. He already murdered what was left of the Alien franchise and now he had to kill the Blade Runner universe. All that was mysterious and ambiguous on the original film, was replaced by overexplaining screenplay, characters always explaining what they are feeling and letting the viewer know what he should be thinking (hate the scene between Wallace and Deckard). Even Deakins cinematography is completely off. It looks beautiful but completely wrong to the Blade runner imaginarium. Way too clean and polished. I remember the original film had a lot ot scenes in Deckard's apartament and no matter how many times I watch it, I can never describe his apartment. The cinematography never lets us fully see everything. It's always a game of light and darkness, hazy atmosphere. This new BladeRunner 2049 just looks like any other of these new Ridley Scott films (Prometheus probably with a touch of orange).

They should've never used the blade runner brand on this. Blade Runner was a demanding film. It communicates very little with the viewer (especially the director's cut) and needs a thoughtful audience to really thrive. There are no villains in Blade Runner. No good or bad thoughts. Just survivors. It's a whole different paradigm. This new blade runner movie is a classic good vs evil with little space for the same philosofical thoughts the original film invoked for so many years and still does today.

Sorry for this, i know many people are loving this film and I don't mean to disrespect other people's taste, but I am really mad Ridley Scott couldn't leave the memory of this film alone. And I'm sure other sequels and prequels and whatever are coming...
    I mostly enjoyed it! The cinematography was amazing. Didn’t like the ending too much
    Last edited by bobbylupo; 10-13-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: It was an unpopular post

Quote Originally Posted by bobbylupo View Post
    I know how difficult it is to execute a film like this so I don’t want to seem like a fanboy who believes they could do better, [B]but/B] it really, to me, it didn’t add anything to the ideas or characters of the first film. The whole story felt forced with plot elements shoe horned in to justify everyone being there (crew included)
    Hmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post

Yep.

(mild spoiler below)

I really enjoyed it until the end. Why does everything always have to come down to a fist fight?

Did you notice that said fisticuffs weren't, technically speaking, actually between the protagonist and the antagonist?
    Oops.Shh...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbylupo View Post
    YHowever I felt there was no need to bring Deckard back.
    Yes there was - having Ford on the list, was a big money raiser for the film.

Haters gotta hate...