Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    If the issue is dialogue and story, you probably haven't seen Blade Runner in a while. It doesn't hold up well. And that Rutger Hauer speech at the end is the definition of cringeworthy.
    Haha. Now you're just teasing

Headed to see the new one tonight. I sure hope the lighting and costume choices have improved

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    So you can only have an opinion on what you also are good at doing yourself? So if you’re not a musician (a good one!) you’re not allowed to dislike any music? And I’m sure you like every politician in the world, because you, yourself, are not one! In essence, you don’t have an opinion, except that other people’s opinions that disagree with your opinions (that you shouldn’t have in the first place) are “full of shit”… People are always confusing things. When I say I don’t like a film, I’m not offending a film nor am I offending people that like it. But when you say other people’s opinions are “full of shit”, that’s when you’re offending.
    That's not at all what I said. Read what I said. I said that's how I operate. I said "I'm just not ego-maniacal enough to actually insult a movie when I have not created anything that can remotely touch it."

Here's what you said:

He already murdered what was left of the Alien franchise and now he had to kill the Blade Runner universe.
    Even Deakins cinematography is completely off.
    It looks beautiful but completely wrong to the Blade runner imaginarium.

Who are you? Who are you to say this? Who the hell are you to say that Roger Deakin's work is off? According to what You didn't say I don't like what they are doing until after you said a man killed the universe he helped to create and you offered nothing to BEFORE you told us that you didn't like it. This isn't criticism.

See, I have an opinion, I think you're full of shit! But I'm not saying that your opinion is worthless, just your sense of entitlement, superiority, and pseudo-authority. Then after you say you're mad at Scott which means nothing on two different levels, no one cares if you're mad, and he didn't direct it, and you cheapen the work of the filmmakers according to your own personal take on the 35 year old original and take no account of technology and limitation that may have influenced the look of both projects, you have the gall to then say that you don't mean to offend anyone?!?!?

Well, what if someone hadn't seen the movie and they trust your word, decide not to support the film and then find out that it really was something that they enjoyed?

My position is that it is not my job to denigrate art unless I have earned the right to do. If I had written on Blade Runner, or written a similar produced film, or have the pedigree to say that an artist killed their work, then I would say it.

Now, at this time I don't. I just express my opinion and leave the condemnation out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pharpsied View Post
    That's not at all what I said. Read what I said. I said that's how I operate. I said "I'm just not ego-maniacal enough to actually insult a movie when I have not created anything that can remotely touch it."

Here's what you said:

He already murdered what was left of the Alien franchise and now he had to kill the Blade Runner universe.
    Even Deakins cinematography is completely off.
    It looks beautiful but completely wrong to the Blade runner imaginarium.

Who are you? Who are you to say this? Who the hell are you to say that Roger Deakin's work is off? According to what You didn't say I don't like what they are doing until after you said a man killed the universe he helped to create and you offered nothing to BEFORE you told us that you didn't like it. This isn't criticism.

See, I have an opinion, I think you're full of shit! But I'm not saying that your opinion is worthless, just your sense of entitlement, superiority, and pseudo-authority. Then after you say you're mad at Scott which means nothing on two different levels, no one cares if you're mad, and he didn't direct it, and you cheapen the work of the filmmakers according to your own personal take on the 35 year old original and take no account of technology and limitation that may have influenced the look of both projects, you have the gall to then say that you don't mean to offend anyone?!?!?

Well, what if someone hadn't seen the movie and they trust your word, decide not to support the film and then find out that it really was something that they enjoyed?

My position is that it is not my job to denigrate art unless I have earned the right to do. If I had written on Blade Runner, or written a similar produced film, or have the pedigree to say that an artist killed their work, then I would say it.

Now, at this time I don't. I just express my opinion and leave the condemnation out of it.
    Man, it's not matter of caring for what others have to say about this film. You just said I'm full of shit and I couldn't care less for what you have to say. I care for people who have something to say. What I said is that I didn't like the film, explained why and I said I don't like what scott is doing with the masterpieces he created. I dislike what he did with the alien franchise and I don't need to win an oscar or be recognized to be able to say that.

You know, to me an opinion matters when the person explains why and knows what he's saying. I love reading good literature and reviews about films. And some of the reviews I love the most are from guys that I even disagree with. And sometimes they are tough with films I like but I don't go to them explaining they should make films to be able to say that. On that line of thought, if you love a film, you shouldn't say because, in all honesty, if you're not allowed to say you hated a film, then you can't say you loved one.

I said blade runner 2049 made me mad and explained why (dialogues, cinematography, etc) and all you did was make clever quotes and say other people are full of shit. I have better things to do.
    Last edited by david evans; 10-14-2017 at 04:56 PM.

My biggest complaint with Blade Runner 2049 is all the singing and dancing sequences.
    I know the whole Bollywood thing is getting more and more popular, but I thought that really screwed up the whole flow of the story.

And before you call me out and say "get with the times" or "it shouldn't be just a clone of an 80's movie"...well, it's just my opinion on this whole Ridley Scott thing.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Having seen the original on the big screen 30 years ago and 10 or so times since, as recently as yesterday I have to say 2049 is worlds better, lighting didnt give that dark late 70's feel, costumes weren't leftovers from total recall. Just a better movie all around. Plot was thin and predictable and entire movie felt like a setup for a sequel but very visually and audibly pleasing

I liked 2049 very much. In fact i’m a bit surprised a movie like this exists today. Denis Vilaneuve is a solid director, Deakins’s work was just fine. It’s a different movie, a different story, set in the same universe and general local as the first movie. It looke and sounded like a perfectly fine sequel to the first one. It doesn’t need to be exactly the same. I’m glad Denis made his own movie and didn’t try to copy/paste what Scott and Cronenweth did for the first one. In fact, Soldier is a spiritual sequel to Blade Runner and it looked like its own movie, too. Let the first one be the first one. Let 2049 be its own thing too. I just wish theyd trimmed it down a bit. Felt a little too slow in places. No worries, I thought it was otherwise fantastic. LOVED the music.
    Jason R. Johnston | Blog | IMDb