Thread: The elusive "Unicorn Zoom" lens for EF mount

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    I'm pretty sure Cooke makes a lens with about that range if I'm not mistaken. The price may be a little over what you're looking at...
    Actually, I did a quick search and the Cooke Varotal 20-100mm seems to sell used for around $5000-$6200. So, yes, that would be suitable. Image looks good from the couple of Russian posts I found on YouTube. I think it sits in the "elusive" category though.

For PL mount lenses you've also got the Angenieux 17-102 and the Red 18-85mm but they are both 10 pounders.

I don't see hard stops in and of themselves being a deal breaker although we all want what we want. The bigger issue would be the lack of accurate witness marks associated with a hard stop-less lens. However I don't have a team of camera ninja running around with measuring tapes, so while it's nice to have them, I don't use them even though my personal zoom of choice features them. It's always eyeball and China marker when the shot calls for it.

I get the Canon decision for autofocus, in fact their zoom looks more like a DSLR/B4 hybrid than an actual cine or ENG lens. Fujinon's decision to release their new MK zooms exclusively in Sony mount is an odd one however. I imagine Sony, the largest manufacturer of B4 mount cameras, is leveraging their relationship with Fujinon for first dibs.

I think it's a safe bet that we all want a $5000 19-90mm Cabrio. The upside is that as the S35 format permeates the industry as a whole, and not just commercials, primetime drama, and cinema, prices are falling fast. Fujinon has knocked over 15000 off the price of the original 19-90mm Cabrio and are offering the 20-120mm at 13.5K. They're actually becoming cheaper than the latest round of B4 zooms.

Good Luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I don't see hard stops in and of themselves being a deal breaker...The bigger issue would be the lack of accurate witness marks associated with a hard stop-less lens.
    Admittedly, I'm using the phrase "hard stops" as a shorthand for the whole manual focus issue, which covers essentially what you're saying. In a nutshell, it's about having a focus ring that provides repeatable and exact focus positions. Even if one isn't measuring out marks on the scale, it's about the ability to say, "when the subject is 'there', they're in focus 'here' on the lens barrel." It's what I'm used to on older ENG cameras. The complete opposite of this is the typical "focus-by-wire" ring that just spins and spins, wherein the position of the focus ring has no correlation to the focus distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    Actually, I did a quick search and the Cooke Varotal 20-100mm seems to sell used for around $5000-$6200.
    Yeah, it's whopping piece of glass though - 6kg and 140mm front diameter. Though, I'm sure it renders a beautiful image.

The Fujinon 19-90mm would be my first choice - if i could afford it!