Thread: BMPCC + Metabones + Sigma 18-35 f1.8 EF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMPCC + Metabones + Sigma 18-35 f1.8 EF 
    Hi all,

I have an odd situation with my BMPCC, the lens is supposed to handle f/1.8 to f/16.

But when I press the "Iris" button outdoors, it goes to f/9.5 and I'm unable to close it down to f/16 by using the arrows. It can only go up, like to f/8.7, not down.

I also don't see a manual control for the aperture. Did I choose a bad lens?

Have you checked to see if the speedbooster is on the latest firmware? Also ensure that it is properly locked into the mft lens mount. Until it clicks in.

I imagine it's locked in because the focus button works. But the SB didn't come with a manual so I have no idea how to check the current firmware version.

Not enjoying the BMPCC yet.

download the firmware loader, use a micro usb, theres a little port on the speedbooster.

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Denjin Zaboga View Post
    I imagine it's locked in because the focus button works. But the SB didn't come with a manual so I have no idea how to check the current firmware version.

Not enjoying the BMPCC yet.
    Hello Denjin , your problem may come from the Lens's Firmware .. Sigma sells an " USB Dock " , which allows you to update the lens firmware .. You connect the lens to the dock , the dock to your computer on Usb , there is a Sigma application that checks your lens firmware , and if not up to date , you can update .. I had to do this , not for a BMPCC/Metabones , but for an Ursa mini . The lens firmware was too old , and there was no dialog with the Iris .... But I use a BMPCC with a SpeedBooster and a Sigma 18-35/EF and it works very well ; I also had to update the Metabones Speedbooster , because , when powering down the camera , I had to do it twice for the camera to really close down ( was not a big deal but now everything is perfect ) .

The Sigma USB Dock is not very expensive , maybe someone around you owns one .. Take care , there is another dock for Nikon mounts , not the same , make no mistake ..

Hope this helps , Good Luck , with my Best Regards from France =

Mike

I don't think you have a problem. The speedbooster (I'm assuming it's the speedbooster version of the Metabones) increases the effective aperture by 1 2/3 stops due to the way it works. The BMPCC display shows the effective aperture that the adapter is giving you.

So at the open end you're getting F1.0 displayed which is F1.8 on the lens plus 1 2/3 stops from the speedbooster. At the closed end you're going to see F9.5 which is F16 on the lens plus 1 2/3 stops. To see F16 on the BMPCC you'd need a lens that stops down to F28.

In general, you don't want to be shooting at stops which are too closed down because of diffraction issues. So for shooting outdoors, get yourself some ND filters (there's lots of information on here about the best ones, fixed or variable) and shoot a bit wider open.

You will enjoy the BMPCC. Promise. (Until you break the HDMI so be careful with that).
    Director, occasional DP, nerd
    www.martinscanlan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scanners286 View Post
    I don't think you have a problem. The speedbooster (I'm assuming it's the speedbooster version of the Metabones) increases the effective aperture by 1 2/3 stops due to the way it works. The BMPCC display shows the effective aperture that the adapter is giving you.

So at the open end you're getting F1.0 displayed which is F1.8 on the lens plus 1 2/3 stops from the speedbooster. At the closed end you're going to see F9.5 which is F16 on the lens plus 1 2/3 stops. To see F16 on the BMPCC you'd need a lens that stops down to F28.

In general, you don't want to be shooting at stops which are too closed down because of diffraction issues. So for shooting outdoors, get yourself some ND filters (there's lots of information on here about the best ones, fixed or variable) and shoot a bit wider open.

You will enjoy the BMPCC. Promise. (Until you break the HDMI so be careful with that).
    You may be correct here. My Canon 50 mm goes down to 14 with the booster but really goes to 22. So yea you are correct sir since the sigma only goes to 16

Whilst I'm not quite sure what version of the Speedbooster you're currently using, my BMPCC+Speedbooster+Sigma 1.8 goes to F11. I'm using the Speedbooster Ultra 0.71x.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GregParris View Post
    Whilst I'm not quite sure what version of the Speedbooster you're currently using, my BMPCC+Speedbooster+Sigma 1.8 goes to F11. I'm using the Speedbooster Ultra 0.71x.
    Good Luck!
    assuming its the bmpcc booster which would decrease further since it is 0.58x

That's right, just checked on my BMMCC with the 0.58x and the Sigma and it stops down to F9.5
    Director, occasional DP, nerd
    www.martinscanlan.com