Thread: CinemaDNG Resolve Workflow Issue

1. #1 CinemaDNG Resolve Workflow Issue 
    Hello there - this is my first time using CDNG raw files (BMMCC 3:1 RAW), so I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but when I create a new project and pull in my footage from the folder, half of it is "video" (2-3 frames) and the other half is stills. The very first clip is 200-300 frames of video. If I drag only the "video" or stills files into the Timeline, neither plays back correctly so I can't export it (and importing all of them together is craziness) - so like I said I'm not able to export a proxy in that form. The stills are exactly like you'd expect an imported still to be, about 5 seconds long, except there's several hundred of them. Tutorials online don't seem to have this happening, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Davinci Resolve 14
    Project Settings: Camera RAW: CinemaDNG/Full Res/Project

Are you first using the media tab to import your footage from the folder? Or are you trying to drag and drop it from outside of resolve in? Cause that might cause problems. Resolve has to first create a playable file from all of the raw files first, dragging from outside may be skipping this step.

Otherwise I can't think of why itd think they are simply dngs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Are you first using the media tab to import your footage from the folder? Or are you trying to drag and drop it from outside of resolve in? Cause that might cause problems. Resolve has to first create a playable file from all of the raw files first, dragging from outside may be skipping this step.

Otherwise I can't think of why itd think they are simply dngs.
    Yes, that's exactly what the problem was - that's great to know that dragging them from the folder into the media bin instead of going through the import function does that. Thanks Ryanite!

Quote Originally Posted by ibb View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what the problem was - that's great to know that dragging them from the folder into the media bin instead of going through the import function does that. Thanks Ryanite!
    It actually looks like I spoke too soon - it worked on one of the folders, but not the others, so I took another look at it seems to be that the DNGs are not all named sequentially; they skip numbers, usually every other number. Is that because frames were dropped? When I batch rename them sequentially they import correctly.

It actually looks like I spoke too soon - it worked on one of the folders, but not the others, so I took another look at it seems to be that the DNGs are not all named sequentially; they skip numbers, usually every other number. Is that because frames were dropped? When I batch rename them sequentially they import correctly.
    Sorry I feel asleep. Hmm looking at my micro's 3:1 dng files they are indeed all named sequentially. When I got my micro not too long ago I was told to always go the sandisk extreme pro v30 with no exceptions even though they are more expensive it's not worth messing up shots. So if you are using a card that is less than the sandisk then you may indeed be dropping frames. I've never seen my micro drop frames but I believe a little icon comes up each time it happens ( a skipping kangaroo?) I'm not sure though. I know there's a program to test the card speeds i just can't seem to find the download. Apparently you can get it from downloading a driver package for a capture card https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...e-and-playback

If you are using a genuine sandisk extreme pro ( you also have to be careful of buying fakes from ebay, the speed test will tell you if its fake or not as it should be able to record HD up to 1080 60p raw 3:1. From then I might look at it being a problem with the camera.

Dropped frames are very likely the culprit for non sequential frame numbers. Your recording media may not be up to the task.

Had this happen to me recently when the battery got too low, even with the sandisk extreme pro. Your camera dropped some frames.