Thread: Mosaic OLPF v2 installation problems, tips and tests

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Righto installed my v2 mosaic OLFP today. Was extremely nerve racking but going from the info here and on the mosaic site I'd say It went really well.

IMG_20170927_230447.jpg

Used the old part of a rubber medical glove trick to help with undoing the hex screws. Made sure it was in and pressed down firmly while turning and praying. Luckily for me there was no lock compound on any of my screws and I slipped relatively few times, only caused very minor marks if any actual effect.

IMG_20170927_231321.jpg

I actually had more trouble figuring out if I had correctly placed the little white shim that goes under the electrical MFT pins. From straight on you cannot see it but if you tilt it and look in you see it slightly. But from testing it is not in the optical path and isn't effecting the image.

IMG_20170927_233237.jpg

Clipping the shim in was also a little tricky but I used the provided plastic block to ensure it was correctly placed and level ( at first it was slight raised on one side but shifting it around to make sure it was squared with the sensor fixed the issue).

IMG_20170927_234533.jpg

And here it is with the BMPCC metabones T speedbooster 0.58 attached. I also used the plastic block tool to ensure the speed booster fits, it does snugly and does not hit any component of the shim.

IMG_20170927_234613.jpg

I used only the components supplied to me plus the addition of the piece of rubber glove to install the shim. Mosaic seem to have done a great job here despite how long it took to actually ship to me here in Australia.

Over all Shijan I think you may have just gotten very unlucky going off my experience. But thank you very much for the warnings, it helped me immensely.

Mosaic OLPF Kit v2 : SOLD

Thanks for all the info guys. Just got mine today. Planning to install tomorrow.

Everything went fine with installation, but strangely, the hex bit Mosaic sent was actually too large for the screws! Thankfully, I was able to use a smaller allen wrench with a medical glove and it unscrewed with very little force. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by LJR View Post
    Everything went fine with installation, but strangely, the hex bit Mosaic sent was actually too large for the screws! Thankfully, I was able to use a smaller allen wrench with a medical glove and it unscrewed with very little force. Go figure.
    Woah too large? what an odd thing to have a variance in lol, maybe someone packed the wrong bit from a different kit in? either way I'm glad it went well. Be sure to use the little plastic block to see if it's fitting flush, mine was a little raised on one side until i rotated it a tad.

Shinjan, would you be willing to put up DNG frames from your raw comparison to download?

It seems i deleted those RAW files long time ago

I've been noticing that even with the V2 olpf installed I'm still getting a bit of moire in some shots, more specifically if I'm shooting a landscape of a bunch of houses some of the more distant tile roofs will show moire. But I guess the pattern is so far and so fine it's fitting into or maybe above a category 10 of shijans tests.

In any case I can't imagine how bad it'd be without the olpf, in this situation if the camera doesn't move you can't tell, you can see it though if you move.

Can you post some video cilps? I was thinking about getting the V2 olpf for my BMCC but don't see a point if it doesn't get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I've been noticing that even with the V2 olpf installed I'm still getting a bit of moire in some shots, more specifically if I'm shooting a landscape of a bunch of houses some of the more distant tile roofs will show moire. But I guess the pattern is so far and so fine it's fitting into or maybe above a category 10 of shijans tests.

In any case I can't imagine how bad it'd be without the olpf, in this situation if the camera doesn't move you can't tell, you can see it though if you move.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

unfortunately my upload speed is absolutely abysmal but here's a crop of it. It's not too bad but definitely not all gone. This is shot with a Samyang 16mm and hoya pro 8 ND.

For some reason all the files I'm uploading are coming up tiny so I've used imgur.

You can see the moire in the roof top, a bit sad because it's not that far away. However the 16mm may also be effecting it. It's not terribly distracting but it is there. However! I feel this filter shines best when it comes to clothes, I've yet to have any trouble and the other week we did the 48 hour film festival here and our actor was wearing a shirt with a collar that had fine line patterns on it and I had no moire. So It does help, just depends how harsh it is I guess and the lenses sharpness/ distance to the subject.
    https://i.imgur.com/A9OO3Ou.jpg

The IR cut with the Hoya Pro works really well though. This has coloured mid/shadow tones pushed toward red/orange so Ignore that. I was trying to get some sort of kodak film look :P, still learning!
    https://i.imgur.com/nbgRaXc.jpg