Thread: Red Raven

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Red Raven 
    Has anyone bought one? I Currently have the URSA Mini 4k and I am looking to upgrade I'm looking for something with better build quality than my 4k and the ursa view finder (heck my viewfinder isn't even a year old and the cables going to it are bad now).

It's between the Red Rave, Red Scarlet X (used) or Ursa Mini Pro (not sure I want do go down the BMD path with lake of quality construction again).

I don't have a Raven, but I do have a RED kit, and have been in the RED world for a bit. I wouldn't be looking at the Scarlet MX to be honest, as anything past 24p is pretty lack luster. It's just a little bit too old of a cam, and RED isn't guaranteeing service to it after 9/28/2017. The lowest price that you can get a Raven now is $15k for a shooting kit, only through the Apple store (odd pair of companies, I know), and that only comes with a single 120GB card, so more $ for media.

So 15k is a lot higher than a Usra Mini Pro, and the accessories needed to get that going.

For the cost of a RED Raven, I would almost recommend to go the Scarlet-W route instead (swap-able lens mounts, swap-able OLPFs, future body upgrades, and future sensor swaps. None of which the Raven will have), but that might be slightly out of reach, cost wise, but you never made your budget clear

The Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k is a pretty nice cam. Good IQ, good slow mo. The only thing really holding it back is the low light performance, so if you're going to be working in controlled environments, the Ursa is same, if not better, than a Raven (Ursa has a larger sensor). RED's new IPP2 image pipeline can be used on the Scarlet X, Raven, and Scarlet-W, which really does squeeze out more performance, and makes skin tones that much better.

So it is a hard comparison, but I vote Scarlet-W, but that's 2x the cost of a Ursa Mini Pro, when everything is taken into account. So if you have any budget restraints, the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k is a clear winner.

My budget is around $20,000. I'd like to keep it around $15-17k but willing to spend more for a longer lasting system. I have no problem with used systems and I have plenty of V Mount batteries already.

At that range I'd be choosing between the Red and Varicam LT.

EVA1, depending on your needs and what the final IQ is like, worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    EVA1, depending on your needs and what the final IQ is like, worth considering.
    No Thanks. SD Card Recording, No RAW At this point. Doesn't use V Mounts. It's basicly just an HVX200/HMC1500/DSLR had a baby camera.

I would personally take a look at a Scarlet-W over the Raven.

The 5K sensor is closer to S35 standard. Here's the two REDs compared at their full sensor widths. It gets even narrower when you're shooting for 16:9, thanks to Raven's 2.1:1 ratio sensor. UMP and SW are nearly identical too.

The interchangeable lens mounts will be useful should you ever need to mount PL cinema glass on the camera. Also, Hanse Inno Tech are going to present a speedbooster type mount for RED called the SpeedMount. It won't be possible to use this with Raven.

Interchangeable OLPFs are also a thing with the Scarlet-W. That said, I personally own all 3, but never switch off of standard on my Epic-W. I do like having the option if I ever want to play around with some more creative filters like a Kippertie Carbon.

The Raven only comes configured as a package anymore. Which means spending $15K, getting a sigma 18-35 that you may or may not need. And not enough media to do much with. It also comes with the Outrigger handle, which I personally believe is obsolete the second they made the DSMC2 side handle. You said you've got batteries, so maybe getting extra batteries in the package can be seen as a bonus, or maybe you're paying for batteries you don't need. All I know is that those 95wH batteries are going to last about an hour and 15 minutes each on a DSMC2 camera -- just a heads up.

If you go Scarlet-W, you can also order a base expander and a V-Lock battery module, instead of the V-Lock IO expander which comes with the Raven. Having the two pieces separate might provide some benefit. You could nix the V-Lock plate and get a third party one like the one from Wooden Camera which lets you move the center of gravity of the batteries downward.

That said, the Raven kit does come with foolcontrol for free ($170 value and definitely recommended), $250 in RED accessory credit, and a hard case.

If you wanted to save cash, I would probably pick an URSA Mini Pro over the Raven. The savings of Raven just aren't enough incentive to compromise on getting a Scarlet-W, especially when you can build a Scarlet-W kit in pieces with 3rd-party accessories, instead of being locked into one pre-configured kit.
    Aaron Lochert

DSMC2 bodies are all the rage now, but if you can live with a DSMC1 body, there are lots of great deals on RTS Epic Dragon packages popping up. Or if you don't need as much high speed / low compression stuff, Scarlet Dragons can be found even cheaper. I can't imagine spending 15k-ish on a Raven when an Epic Dragon kit can be found for about the same.

I just made a switch from a UMPro to a Scarlet Dragon and have been pretty happy with the switch. Image quality on both is very good, but as a non colorist, I find it quite a bit easier to get the look that I'm after with RED footage than BMD's (that is just my opinion, I know many on here feel the opposite).

That being said, the UMPro is straight up easier to work with than a Red, from everything from menus, NDs, codec options, physical buttons, LUT and output routing, bootup time, fan noise, etc.

FWIW, I bought just a Raven body from DroneNerds about two months ago.

Not sure if they changed anything and can't sell only bodies anymore, but maybe worth looking into:

http://www.dronenerds.com/products/r...-0223-red.html

PS - Some thicker V-mount batteries won't clear the lip of the V-lock I/O Expander.

PPS - The EVA1 will eventually shoot RAW externally.

To get the most out of a EVA-1, an external monitor/recorder lis going to be needed, as the camera will output 4.2.2 10-bit at all frame rates. Internal recording, higher frame rates are going to be 4.2.0 8-bit! Probably due to the SD card recording media. So, this is making the UM Pro loking better all the time! Or, for the same money as the EVA-1 the Raven as NorBro pointed out.
    Cheers