Thread: DNx Not coming to URSA Mini?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    I think it's better if they just dropped it entirely. Remove everything QuickTime from all cameras, I say. Let that buggy, ancient abortion die already.
    As with all things Apple it isn't perfect it's just the best there is.

I would say considering the financial stability of Avid, DNx is way more likely to die out than ProRes.

True, it's After effects that doesn't offer it. I'd like an alternative to ProRes 4444 with alpha…

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
    I would say considering the financial stability of Avid, DNx is way more likely to die out than ProRes.
    DNx is wrapped in MXF. It's not going anywhere. Avid is still used in the high end market more than any other system. Avid never lost the low end market as that was never their business. They did lose business when they didn't progress more for the mid level market.

Avid isn't going anywhere for awhile at least....

Hilarious to hear the bagging of ProRes and yet, it is what is used by my guess, more than 90% of the production users out there in my world of TV narrative drama.

I mean Alexa's shoot DNx as well as ProRes. Why is it that we still persist using this supposedly outdated buggy Codec ?

I don't think it's the codec that's outdated and buggy, it's windows users trying to use ProRes.

Every show I've worked on recently shoots ProRes and the dailies are transcoded to DNx for AvId editorial and then conformed back from ProRes. I see no bugs or hiccups with ProRes and not a single person wants DNx orgination. Yeah it makes more sense, but generally apple tend to do things like 4k+ updates and higher data rates (XQ) before DNx variants come out. So much for an unsupported outdated codec hey ?

ProRes has served me very well in my career. DNx offers at BEST the same thing from another proprietary vendor. ProRes is so ubiquitous simply because Apple control it so well. I can still play high end prores codecs on my ancient MacBook that weren't even written when it was manufactured. Apple are a pain in the arse to deal with no doubt, but from an end user experience, from what I've seen, they work consistently across many platforms. AVID have always been "ME TOO" and I'd be interested to hear those that say it's outdated and buggy precisely explain why.

Saying there's more modern codecs like cineform / wavelet based etc doesn't cut it either, because we're talking to supported and reliable experiences. Anyone can make a new codec and there are plenty of good ones out there. But they have to work reliably and consistently in all sorts of different environments and ProRes has undeniably done that fairly well for many years.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    AVID have always been "ME TOO" and I'd be interested to hear those that say it's outdated and buggy precisely explain why.
    Doesn't help when most of their upper management are all jerks, the company as a whole treats customers horribly.. heck just look at how their employees report to customers on emails or their own forums when someone asks for Something in Avid. "Your an idoit you don't really need that, cause Avid doesn't have it"

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    I love ProRes, and I also appreciate using DNxHD/R too.

There's a DNxHD/R "wish" thread here:
    https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=60767

-

ProRes is definitely not outdated. How long did it take Avid to support more than HD?

What's – officially! – outdated and even a security risk is the QT framework by Apple for Windows. That's why all software manufacturers are moving away from it, just like BM.

It doesn't mean that you can't use ProRes on a PC, it only got safer to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    I love ProRes, and I also appreciate using DNxHD/R too.

There's a DNxHD/R "wish" thread here:
    https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=60767

-
    Posted there now. I'm guessing most people don't know to request it

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    True, it's After effects that doesn't offer [DNx]

That's not correct either. AE can read and write (through AME) DNx files just fine.