Thread: led light cob without multiple shadows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 led light cob without multiple shadows 
    I want to buy a led light, those with COB led to avoid the multiple shadows problem. Good TLCI, good power, bowen-s.

I was looking at pixapro:
    https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/pro...-studio-light/

But then I saw this video where he shows it has multiple shadows...:
    https://youtu.be/TiiY2eoNuK4?t=499

I know of Boltzen 55W that seems good, but they have little power.

Another one that should really well/top is the new Aputure 300D, but it's a bit pricey for me now.

Have you some advice of something else in the price point of pixapro, similar power, bowen-s, without multiple shadows?

The video shows the reviewer using the bare bulb, visually no one does that. These lights are meant to be fired into a soft box or some other light modifier that will soften those shadows and expand the light source. Youtube videos are great for misinformation and half truths. You can find a bunch that will both pan and love the same product depending on their point of view and way of working.

I disagree on one point: these lights are the only one type that permits you to use them both hard AND soft light.
    If you buy all the other flat led panels you get only soft light, you could never use them as hard light.
    These spot lights instead CAN, if one wants it, be used as hard light instead of the classical soft boxes or similar.
    So I don't think it's a misleading info, instead very useful: some other COB lights don't seem to have this behaviour on multiple shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by frank10 View Post
    I disagree on one point: these lights are the only one type that permits you to use them both hard AND soft light.
    If you buy all the other flat led panels you get only soft light, you could never use them as hard light.
    These spot lights instead CAN, if one wants it, be used as hard light instead of the classical soft boxes or similar.
    So I don't think it's a misleading info, instead very useful: some other COB lights don't seem to have this behaviour on multiple shadows.
    Yes, but in what situation would you want the light to be hard AND open face? Usually, if you want it to be hard, you're going to put a fresnel attachment on it. I haven't tested it yet, nor did the reviewer in your link, but my guess is that after it goes through a fresnel lens, it will be plenty hard and will not have multiple shadows.

Edit: Here are the results with the same light with a $30 fresnel attachment. It will give you an idea of what's possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JuitNXvtQI
    Last edited by _OZ; 01-05-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Yes, the fresnel should help.
    A better test could be with a parabolic reflector (like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/UKHP-Bowens-...4AAOSwN6JY9zck) to concentrate light on the front side without a glass in front.
    Here I doubt it will help with multiple shadows...
    This could be a common situation when lighting an interview set with hard light.

Quote Originally Posted by frank10 View Post
    Yes, the fresnel should help.
    A better test could be with a parabolic reflector (like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/UKHP-Bowens-...4AAOSwN6JY9zck) to concentrate light on the front side without a glass in front.
    Here I doubt it will help with multiple shadows...
    This could be a common situation when lighting an interview set with hard light.
    I'm pretty sure the test in your first original post was using the parabolic reflector that comes with the light.

Yes, you're right: I was in doubt because I remembered he tested also without it ( at 7:39 ). My first post was on May...
    So, in fact a simple reflector doesn't help. It can give you the best hard light, but in this product you will get also multiple shadows...

I have a couple of the GODOX lights that are just like the PixaPro. Great frikkin' lights. Use them over every other type of fixture whenever I can.

I use all kinds of Bowens modifiers and they work perfectly.

I thought the PixaPro mkII had a battery option...is that only for the smaller 100 model?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I have a couple of the GODOX lights that are just like the PixaPro. Great frikkin' lights. Use them over every other type of fixture whenever I can.

I use all kinds of Bowens modifiers and they work perfectly.

I thought the PixaPro mkII had a battery option...is that only for the smaller 100 model?
    There is PixaPro 100mkII +
    The plus sign denotes the addition of cable and Vlock plate. The 200 has no battery option, sadly.

So, apart their good quality light and all -I agree on this- do you confirm DPStewart they have multiple shadows with reflector?

Anyway, now I'm looking at another brand that seems more complete and slightly more pricey but bicolor...!
    The Falcon eyes CLL-1600TDX
    These exist also with V-mount battery plate, even if with slightly less power:
    DLL-1600TW

https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_odkw...+1600&_sacat=0

I don't know if they also have multiple shadows... I'm still waiting on a promised review by Curtis Judd!
    Last edited by frank10; 01-07-2018 at 02:57 AM.