Thread: What to do with BMPCC once the hdmi port breaks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What to do with BMPCC once the hdmi port breaks? 
    Hey all, curious what everyone here does with their BMPCCs once the hdmi port breaks? Are they sellable for some amount of cash or not really worth it? Just keep as an extra camera on hand? Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jak3fx View Post
    Hey all, curious what everyone here does with their BMPCCs once the hdmi port breaks? Are they sellable for some amount of cash or not really worth it? Just keep as an extra camera on hand? Any other ideas?
    A Pocket with a broken HDMI port is a camera with a broken mainboard, i.e. pretty much unusable except for spare parts.

I think having a spare camera or b cam far outweighs the couple hundred bucks you'd get for it. It's also nice to have one stripped and one rigged. Send me a PM let me know what you want for it. Good Luck.

What Howie said. I have two - both with functioning HDMI connectors.

One is rigged up as a shoulder mounted Super 16 camera with audio preamp, rails, matte box, EVF & powered by V-Locks. I use the HDMI output into the EVF.

The other is stripped down as a handheld Super 8 rig with loupe, or used on a slider. I rarely use the HDMI output on that one - only as a locked off wide for events when an external recorder is used, or when it's being switched through a vision mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    The other is stripped down as a handheld Super 8 rig with loupe, or used on a slider.
    yeah this is what i was thinking of doing. thanks!

yeah this is what i was thinking of doing. thanks!
    It's a more than capable camera in that configuration. And so much better image than real super 8. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a photo of my super 8 style rig...
    _DSF5414 sm.jpg
    Last edited by trispembo; 08-31-2017 at 11:16 PM.

There you go. I use a z finder and the monopod that came with a Canon 1014 for the one with a bad port.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    It's a more than capable camera in that configuration. And so much better image than real super 8. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a photo of my super 8 style rig...
    _DSF5414 sm.jpg
    That's really cool. I see that stock quite the bit I haven't been able to find one like it, mind telling me what kind it is?

9. #9 Broken hdmi port 
    Hello JAK3FX , there is nothing mysterious in your camera , it's " only " technology .. never forget it is often possible to repair that kind of problem . The female micro Hdmi connector on the mainboard is Surface Mounted , and the four " Ground Legs " are soldered only on one side of the Board .. so very fragile , cannot handle mechanical efforts .. If you know a good electronics technician , maybe he could do that , here is an interesting link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4_7j51o8w

If the connector moves , the very tiny tracks may break .. but it is often possible to fix that , with very small insulated wires .. Of course , there are risks , it must be done by a skilled electronician , with a good eyesight , and/or good magnifiers ..

The best way to avoid that is to install the camera inside a " Cage " , with a small system holding the male hdmi connector securely .. I did it myself with a piece of thick aluminum , and never remove it .. it's solid as a rock ..

It's also possible to use an optical Viewfinder , like the " LCDVF " made by Kinotehnik ..

Well , I hope my comments help , and if you want a good time , here are links from France : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvimvzUR-c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11SyE9cvdU

Enjoy , have a nice day , take it easy , and Good Luck ..

Michel

Yes I noticed my HDMI connection to my monitor was very sensitive to the slightest wobble on the cable, so bought a cage and and a HDMI clamp solely to address this issue.

Constantly worried though that the connection is still vulnerable to plugging in and out and could result in "bricking" the camera.

Do Blackmagic offer a repair service for these issues, or does anyone know of a independent camera shop that could handle these types of repairs?

Edit: I should add I'm in London UK :-)
    Last edited by cristo; 09-04-2017 at 05:56 AM.