Thread: My first lens. Which one?

1. #1 My first lens. Which one? 
    I purchased my daughter who is a college student, a used BMCC. I want to get her a lens.
    I'm looking for something affordable and that can be used for general purpose until she has experience and then can select specific lenses.
    These are the two that fit into my budget:
    Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens with hood for Canon DSLR Cameras ($299)
    Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital DSLR Camera ($369)

Are these ok for student-starter lenses?
    Will I be wasting my money?
    Is there something else that I should consider?

I looked at this:
    Yongnuo EF YN 50mm F/1.8 AF Standard Prime Lens for Canon EF EOS DSLR Cameras ($50)
    But I seems very limited and I can put the $50 towards one of the two lenses I mention above.

Thanks.

Look at the Tamron 17-50mm with VC, the image stabilization on that lens is some of the best I've seen. It does a great job of mitigating micro jitters and making amateur footage look a little less amateur. New they're $650 but you can find them for 200-300 used all day long. Good Luck.

I'm not fond of Zoom lenses except for the Sigma ART 18-35mm 1.8. How about looking into Rokinon Cine DS prime lenses (based on your budget). Get a starter set of primes - 24mm T1.5, 35mm T1.5, 50mm T1.5, and 85mm T1.5. You can also rplace the 24mm to a 16mm T2.2 for a little wider.

BMCC doesn't have an active mount, right? So no IS. Unless I'm mistaken.

Bmcc mft mount is passive, the ef mount is active.

Interesting. I'd recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS then. Pretty affordable used, better image quality than any other similar lens, with better IS, from the comparisons I've read.

I'd choose the sigma 17-50 from those options.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Bmcc mft mount is passive, the ef mount is active.
    The MFT BMCC mount is passive, but Metabones makes a speedbooster that provides contacts so you can focus and adjust the iris, as well as power IS (it requires a micro usb plug 5v). I personally don't own that camera though I love the video it produces - I love the active MFT mount on the BMPCC and then the Global shutter on my BMPC4k.

What I found out when I started handholding some shots with the BMPC4k, since it has global shutter, my Canon IS lenses were stabilizing the shots but would change the angle ever so slightly, so when I would go to stabilize in Resolve there are times where it looks severely warped. This does not happen when I turn the IS off, however then I risk some vibration blur if I step too hard or make a move too quickly. I'm still experimenting, but so far have found that going without IS on my BMPC4k has been better for me (particularly since I have extra space to zoom/crop Stabilization on the 4k video since I'm rendering in 1080 anyway).

On the BMPCC I found it almost impossible to use handheld - even with the IS lenses sometimes the rolling shutter just makes it too jello'y that I don't like to use it. On a very stable/large rig though that wouldn't be a problem. So for your BMCC OP, I would suggest thinking about how you will be doing most of your shots. It won't hurt to have an IS lens but then again, I'm not sure how bad the rolling shutter is on the BMCC.