Thread: Need to rent an 85mm lens

1. #1 Need to rent an 85mm lens 
    Hi guys,

Next week I'll be shooting a scene outdoors, at night, and I need a fast 85mm lens to do the close ups. The lens rental house that I know has only 2 options worth considering:

Zeiss 1.4 85mm and the Xeen 1.5 85mm.

Whatever lens I choose will be used with the Ursa Mini 4.6k. Does anyone have any experience with any of these lenses?

Thanks!

Which Zeiss 85mm 1.4 are they suggesting?

How about the Rokinon 85mm Cine DS lens? You can buy it for the price you rent a Xeen or Zeiss.

I asked about which Zeiss they had, but they haven't answered me yet. I'm expecting it's the Planar. Anyway, they're charging me 60eur (about 75usd) for the Xeen 85mm. I could rent the Rokinon 85mm Cine, but I was under the impression that the Xeen were much better optically. They rent the regular Rokinon for 25eur (30usd).

EDIT:

Does anyone know the filter thread size on the Xeen 85mm? Can't find it anywhere...

EDIT 2

Ok, I just realized the Xeens only work with matte boxes...
    Last edited by david evans; 08-25-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Just had the confirmation that the zeiss 85mm is the planar ZE. If I knew I wouldn't have any IR pollution, I'd use the xeen without any filters but I'll be filming with the UM4.6 at night, under all sort of weird night lamps and with LED lights over my actors. I can't risk shooting this without my IR filter in front of whatever lens I'll use...

Guys, i think the fact that the Xeen won't take circular filters is a big no no. Between the Zeiss planar 85 1.4 and the Rokinon cine 85mm (non DS) which would be better? If the zeiss is similar to my zeiss 50mm, it won't be tack sharp until stopped down to f4...

The Zeiss ZE and Rokinon would be pretty similar from an optical quality standpoint, although I'd give the edge to the Planar. The build quality would also be much higher on the ZE, but you would have to set aperture electronically. Neither of these lenses would be all that great wide open, but I consider the Zeiss pretty solid from F2.0 on. The Rokinon from 2.8 on. Both sharpen up far quicker than the Zeiss 50mm ZE.

If you plan on using your Zeiss 50mm, I would suggest going with the Zeiss 85mm. Speaking from experience, Zeiss and Rokinon don't intercut all that well.

Thanks PBowen! I was considering using my Zeiss in this scene, because it's outdoors and at night. So I'll need fast lenses, even though I'll need to stop the Zeiss 50mm a bit... I'm guessing the Zeiss 85mm will be the winner.