Thread: Two Features in 10 Days

1. #1 Two Features in 10 Days 
    Going to get this thread started.

Just wrapped back to back feature films, 2 features in 10 days. The producer and director had a secured a lake house for a solid two weeks and 90% of the films were shot on the property, with a couple company moves into the downtown area of the small town we were filming in. Our lead actress flew up from LA, and the rest were local. These were the first narratives I have ever shot, I shoot a lot for my own corporate and commercial work, but when it comes to narratives I'm usually producing and/or directing (I did end up a producer on these two films though). It's amazing how much lighting you soak up after 10 years working as a gaffer and key grip and I'm with excited about a lot of the shots. I'll have grabs soon and footage soon after, we are going direct to amazon after a local premiere.

This was the first long project with the UMP and it performed flawlessly. I opted to shoot 4.6K in 2:40:1 and 3:1 Raw. I recorded to the Biwin 256gig cards in single card mode and never experienced a dropped frame. I had three cards on set and went through 3-4 a day. I almost shot pro res but with the fast schedule and small package decided that Raw gave me the most flexibility in post.
    I had 6 90 watt batteries that I rotated through. Lens package was Sigma Art 18-35, 50-100, and a couple setups were done with the Tamron 70-200 and the Sigma 24-105, I did do some specialty shots with a 50mm Lensbaby 2.0. 80% of the film was shot on the 18-35 and a Kessler Pocket Jib. I used a moveyourcamera slider for slider shots, and did some handheld with an EZ Rig Cine 3. Monitoring was done with Cometcolor and a Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+.
    My lighting package was fairly light weight since we needed to move fast, I had some basic grip in the form of apple boxes, a 6x6, couple 2x3's, a few c stands and a box of hardware and expendables. I had some foam core and flex-fill as well. My lighting was Fililex 180, 360ex, westscott flexlight, aperture 120D and a Razor 7 300D.

Looking back even right now, I need a proper rain bag....desperately. The plastic bag-its are worthless for reuse and long shoots in the rain. Alaska can have weird weather and it can drastically change within 10-15 minutes, at one point I had pouring rain over set, but was battling the sun at the same time, made for interesting challenges.

Some BTS shots follow, I'll be updating more as I get into editing and coloring.

Floor pass through shot. Underslung on the jib. https://images45.fotki.com/v1649/pho...79246_n-vi.jpg

I going to like this shot. https://images44.fotki.com/v1409/pho...92099_n-vi.jpg

Classic horror https://images51.fotki.com/v1654/pho...71231_n-vi.jpg

Lighting set up for the under porch shot: https://images42.fotki.com/v1650/pho...32626_n-vi.jpg

Will update with Screengrabs soon. I have to say, I'm blown away by raw, this was the first project I've shot on raw start to finish and I'm hooked.
    Attached Images

Hey Michael, what the crew size? How many hours average did you shoot per day? Raw is the way to go. Love that light coming from the porch floor. Thanks for sharing.

Looks awesome Michael, thank you for sharing. I'm looking at using a very similar set up on my feature, with the UMP and the two sigma art zooms. Did anything stick out to you that you'll adjust for in your next project? Whether that's lighting, setting exposure, stabilizing etc? And did you have any trouble wirelessly pulling focus on the photo lenses (also, what what wireless FF did you use?)?

Thanks again g.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Hey Michael, what the crew size? How many hours average did you shoot per day? Raw is the way to go. Love that light coming from the porch floor. Thanks for sharing.
    Crew was tiny. Producer (who also did crafty), Director, 3 PA's, script supe, myself, AC/Grip, AD/Swing, audio. Our average was 12 hour days, we went over a couple times to make the days.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiusthedirector View Post
    Looks awesome Michael, thank you for sharing. I'm looking at using a very similar set up on my feature, with the UMP and the two sigma art zooms. Did anything stick out to you that you'll adjust for in your next project? Whether that's lighting, setting exposure, stabilizing etc? And did you have any trouble wirelessly pulling focus on the photo lenses (also, what what wireless FF did you use?)?

Thanks again g.
    I need a dedicated DIT for on site backups hands down, it slowed me down not having someone that could do that. I did get rainbow flares when using ND's outside a couple times, I need to get the mask, I used it to my advantage though. I also really need a rain bag. My biggest struggle was giving the sensor enough light for a low light horror, I lit bright and had to convince the director multiple times that it wasn't going to look like that when we edit it. I actually didn't use a wireless FF on this, I pulled by hand this time since my AC was new and I couldn't rely on him to hit focus. I'd actually really look into some filters for the Art zooms, they are so stupid sharp that I was really wanting some diffusion on them especially for the close shots of the women.

Two features in 10 days is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. Interested to see what comes of it. As far as filters, I'm a big fan of Black Pro Mist filters, an 1/8 and a 1/4 should do you good based on your lighting conditions.

Agreed. 15-20 pages a day is nuts. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    Crew was tiny. Producer (who also did crafty), Director, 3 PA's, script supe, myself, AC/Grip, AD/Swing, audio. Our average was 12 hour days, we went over a couple times to make the days.

I need a dedicated DIT for on site backups hands down, it slowed me down not having someone that could do that. I did get rainbow flares when using ND's outside a couple times, I need to get the mask, I used it to my advantage though. I also really need a rain bag. My biggest struggle was giving the sensor enough light for a low light horror, I lit bright and had to convince the director multiple times that it wasn't going to look like that when we edit it. I actually didn't use a wireless FF on this, I pulled by hand this time since my AC was new and I couldn't rely on him to hit focus. I'd actually really look into some filters for the Art zooms, they are so stupid sharp that I was really wanting some diffusion on them especially for the close shots of the women.
    Appreciate that Michael! Thank you for the feedback. I got the mask and it reduced the glare, however it didn't fully eliminate it. I'll definitely look into filters -- cheers!