Thread: Dealing with the rain?

1. #1 Dealing with the rain? 
    How does one deal with the elements on their black magic cameras? I live in Melbourne Australia and it can go from bright and sunny to completely rainy in 10 minutes. This is especially troublesome with the Micro + screen - open vents, open ports, open sd card slot, open battery. I go out in fear of a sudden change of weather and a single drop going in a place it shouldn't.

So I was thinking of making up some sort of tarp, using a smallrig cage, fitting a few 1/4 -20 screw hole with metal clip buttons for quick install/removal. The problem comes in with 1) making sure the air vent's can still flow 2) the non integrated screen makes it difficult 3) any sort of handle also complicates things.

I was just wondering if you guys simply don't film outside if there's any chance of rain? or how would it work it you were doing a scene that involved a lot of water? e.g broken pipe or rain.

Maybe I'd have to employ a dedicated umbrella system on some sort of stand. While this was originally a joke I've just considered that this may actually work some what.

Cheers guys,

Ryan.

Umbrella, why not. I am planning to make a plastic cover that goes on top of the camera and lens as lenses are not often water proofed either and SpeedBooster is not in any case.

I doubt though few drops will do any harm. I once, long time ago used Canon 550D on heavy rain and it died, next day it was ok. Clean water is not that bad on my experience. Salt water is much different, one drop of it can really kill electronics.

I have opened the micro camera. It looks pretty ok build. The Fan does not blow the air directly to electronics. I am more worried of the unprotected lenses and SpeedBooster.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

I made a temporary rain cover out of a cheap shower curtain I cut up for a two day shoot in the woods. The weather was going to be unpredictable and it did rain a little bit. It made it a little awkward to use since I've never done anything like that before but it worked great in a pinch! I should have taken a picture of it for shitty rigs...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    How does one deal with the elements on their black magic cameras?
    I have sense enough to get out of the rain right along with all the people at whatever event I'm shooting.

There are some pretty solutions form EWA marine. I'll stop filming if the rain is greater than a light rain. Only once some moisture must have reached the BM Viewfinder as it totally stopped responding to commands. Was fine after it dried out. Not recommended of course, but sometimes you want to get that shot...

Porta brace makes good rain and snow protection for your gear. If you want to stay dry as well you can pick up various incarnations of the EZ UP tents for around 100 bucks that will keep you, your gear, and the boom guy dry.

I never use camera in rain yet but as i know there are few special lens protecting filters technology exists to remove rain drops. Hi speed spinning front filter element or special Hydrophobic Lens Protector.