Thread: Advices for a tripod

1. #1 Advices for a tripod 
    Hi everyone, a friend of mine is going to give me his Pocket Camera which is used with a Tilta Cage (this one : https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._cage_rig.html )

I would like to use a tripod with, but i am completely new about video matters and i have no idea what characteritics of the cage i have to take into account in order so i can buy a tripod adapted to it (plus as you can see my english is quite bad). I would also grandely appreciated if someone could advice me about a good tripod in particular.

Thanks a lots, and sorry if the question is a bit silly. Dont hesitate to ask me anything !

Most tripods come with what is called a quick release plate, which you attach to the camera or cage via a 1/4" or 3/8" screw, then the plate is mounted and secured on the tripod head. Take a look at Benro S series video tripods lines if you are starting. They make great tripods and very usable, even in pro settings, and won't cost you an arm and a leg. I prefer these to the Manfrotto low budget lines.

Ok thanks a lot for the info ! If i may, what do you thin of this one ? (Sorry i don't find it in english ) https://www.missnumerique.com/benro-...4-p-33443.html Is 4KG Max limit enough or should i search for more ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pabbblllo View Post
    Ok thanks a lot for the info ! If i may, what do you thin of this one ? (Sorry i don't find it in english ) https://www.missnumerique.com/benro-...4-p-33443.html Is 4KG Max limit enough or should i search for more ?
    I think it's good, you won't need more than 4kg (unless you are going for an extreme rig and lens). These tripods are light and compact, yet allow you to do great camera movements, provided you learn how to properly balance. The Libec Jim Simon suggested is also a good alternative.

I would actually recommend the next step up (At least for the head). The Benro S4 I've heard is not nearly as great as the Benro S8 head, which I've used myself. I picked one up to hold me over until I could afford a better Miller tripod but I was actually really impressed with how good it was considering the price...at least, compared to Vinten, Sachtler, and Miller.

The main thing you need to look out for, even with a smaller Pocket camera rig, is proper counterbalance. These tripod heads have an adjustable spring in them to push back against the weight of the camera due to gravity. This means when properly dialed in, you can tilt the camera only fighting the dampening in the head, not that plus the weight of the camera. This also makes smooth transitions between starting and stopping a tilt very easy to do since the camera will not move when you let go of the tripod. And always get a tripod that can handle a higher weight capacity than what you currently use. You'll regret having to buy a new tripod when your next camera is too heavy to use on it!

This is the kit I used:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ripod_kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pabbblllo View Post
    what do you thin of this one?
    I personally don't like the design. The E-Image I linked to has a proper 75mm ball receptacle and is the only three-stage tripod in existence with a single flip lock for very quick setup and adjustments. Plus it has a mid-level spreader for stability.