Thread: Thoughts on the GH5?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, yeah.

I keep hearing that if you nail the white balance this camera looks really good. So I shot some stuff and said well that can't be right, I'll try again, and try again, and try again. I ended up with some overhead silk, some bounce, and a chip chart just to make sure I was giving the camera a fair shake. I went through several permutations of settings, picture profiles, shadow/highlight adjustments and settled on Cine D with some minor tweaks. Here's what I got.

Cine D

Chart_1.10.1.jpg

As Shot, she's as disappointed as I am.

ASis_1.10.2.jpg

White Balance. It was already close but no reason not to make it right.

WB_1.10.3.jpg

Color Curves

Curves_1.10.4.jpg

Final Tweaks

Tuned5_1.10.9.jpg

I really wanted to like this camera, it's just not there yet. I recorded everything externally 10 bit Prores HQ and I was hoping for more. What I got was.

Popsicle.jpg

........a Popsicle, moving on.
    Last edited by Howie Roll; 09-01-2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: pics

A lot of people are on the 4k-sharpness-train. Could be the sharpest 6k anamorphic desqueezed frames ever but if the color is hard to work with it doesn't mean squat. What's a real shame is when people downgrade from blackmagic or red to something like the gh5. I'm like o.O

I think we are all spoiled by blackmagic's amazing colour. They make it look so easy.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I think like Darren said, we are all to use to the amazing colors BMD gives us. Everything I keep seeing from the GH5 with people in it keeps me wondering why their skin is so yellow. And when you do see something decent, you just notice that it's just heavily desaturated and "artsy". It doesn't even seem to be a overall yellow tint that could be easily corrected, but more like just the skin tones which will be harder to manipulate.

I've pretty much figured out that my only path to 4K or above is through BMD (Ursa models). RED and ARRI= to much $$$$$$ (for a personal camera). Although there are two new cameras coming out that look interesting.

Most of us here on this site at least who are looking for more resolution only want it after great dynamic range, color, and low compression. And we are wanting that next 4/3 or 16mm 4K sensor from BMD. But because of NOT just throwing our hands up and saying, "Resolution is all that matters" we are waiting patently.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 08-26-2017 at 03:15 PM.

I've used the GH4 and now GH5 for a few years, along with the BMCC and Ursa Mini 4.K. V Log really can produce some nice colors - almost comparable to BM. All of the other color profiles besides V Log are bad IMO. That's when you start getting yellow and orange skin.

I'm surprised so many people gravitate towards Cine-D on the GH4/5, to be honest. Colors and skin always look weird.

Can't speak on the GH5, but natural looks so much better than Cine-D on the gh4.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp View Post
    I'm surprised so many people gravitate towards Cine-D on the GH4/5, to be honest. Colors and skin always look weird.

Can't speak on the GH5, but natural looks so much better than Cine-D on the gh4.
    Probably it's because it has name "cine". What people forget it's baked in profile, processed by a tinny on board chip. Natural does the least amount of processing, particularly if you turn sharpening and saturation to zero. I don't think v-log gives more DR compared to "natural" profile.

It's interesting how there is little consensus regarding the best picture profile. The 3 favorites are Vlog, Cine D, and Natural though everyone thinks their favorite is the best. After the first time I shot with natural (didn't look very good) I started looking for advice on best settings on the web and everyone has an opinion, only shoot log, never shoot log, natural is best, no Cine D. I personally found natural to look worse than Cine D on the GH5, additionally there was some weird midtone compression like an S curve within an S curve. This was shot natural, recorded to 10 bit HQ externally, the lighting is a little different, no bounce, no reflector, the skin tones here are all over the place, not simply unflattering but unusable. While Cine D didn't give me anything amazing I wouldn't call the skin tones unusable just not great but with more DR than natural.

Natural_1.4.1.jpg

A lot of people are seeing what I'm seeing here using a variety of profiles. All of the profiles feature heavy red and yellow saturation (even Vlog relatively) that skew toward the skin line. This camera has at least a dozen major features that I like over the micro, they (Panasonic) rebuild the color science I'm buying one tomorrow, until then sticking with Blackmagic.

Have you tried Paul Leeming's LUT?
    http://www.leeminglutone.com

With regards to GH5 (and other) color, hang in there. I've got something special coming for you. Very special