Thread: Thoughts on the GH5?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Thoughts on the GH5? 
    As black magic film users and community what are your thoughts on how the GH5 squares up against the BM line in terms of cinematic potential?

The GH5 seems to be the best affordable documentary 4k capable camera on the market and it's no doubt that the feature set is amazing but does it's lacking dynamic range in v-log and small bit rates give it any chance of being mixed with something like the ursa mini pro? What happens when the Atomos Ninja inferno is added?

What has been your experience with the camera or footage you've seen in comparison to your own black magic cameras?

I'd say the GH5 is by far the best camera for single operators doing run and gun work. If they are good at post production, it competes for online content purposes as well as anything BMD (or anyone else) makes from a standpoint of price and final output quality (due to things like YouTube compression, typical video resolutions and bitrates, etc.). The thing is - BMD doesn't really try to compete in this space, and the GH5 isn't really intended to compete with something like the UMP.

I've no direct experience with it, but I've seen some incredible footage shot with it - it just requires proper lighting and color grading. The Atomos won't help you get better footage unless you want 10-bit at 4K over 30fps, though it'll let you record in other codecs than the camera itself will.

If BMD wants to compete in the space the GH5 is in, it's going to have to make a kind of camera they never have before. The Pocket is small and has a gorgeous image, but that's not enough; I'd take a GH5 over the Pocket at this point because of everything else it does. YMMV.

It depends on what you shoot. If it's the internet maybe the GH5 can handle it. I shoot in available low light in run and gun environments and the BM cameras handle these scenes better. I've tried the Sony a7S and I still liked what came out of the BM camera better. My guess is that the GH5 would not do any better. On the other hand, if it's daylight and well lit scenes, the GH5 might be a better camera.

GH5 is a great "camera".
    BM cams create great images, but even low end BM cams can be used on the fly.
    And having shot on the GH and owning a few BM cams I would prefer the Micro or the Pocket let alone a UM in virtually any instance.

For instance I have one setup with a Micro with a $250 Ikan monitor and an Oly 12-40 (35-115mm) that's always on a monopod.
    It has slow motion, 3:1 raw, Prores and an image that cuts great with the UMP as well as everything from false color, pixel to pixel, peaking, histogram etc as I need them.
    That simple setup cost about $2k and the image is in a totally differnt league from a GH IMO - and we use it for real time, doc, pick up shots, run/gun all day.

From someone who owns a BMPC4k and a micro cinema cam. It would be very convenient to shoot "run and gun" (previs, youtube, vlog, b-roll, bts etc) with the GH5. Anything serious or to be used as main footage in a narrative I would probably shy away from it, even though the image is pretty fantastic.

The GH5 image and tool seem pretty useful for a lot of things - but your main question is "what is its cinematic potential?"

To me - almost none.
    I've been through Panasonics and I do not find the image to be "cinematic" at all.
    Sure, you could put some lenses you can't afford on it, and slap a lot of filters on it, but you can do that to any camera. Seeing how much the GH5 costs, I don't think it's anything special.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Great camera with nice features. Not for me tho. Still haven't seen a camera w image quality on par w Alexa, other than BM. Having features that assist in filmmaking are great, but for me it's the image.

And I've moved on from micro 4/3. I feel like it's had it's time.

Well I just rented one of these for the week to take it for a spin. So far the good news is that the ETC 4096X2160 4k mode works perfectly for S16. The bad news, for some, is that Vlog is pointless, it doesn't yield any more DR than just lowering the contrast in Standard or Cine V picture profiles. It looks like Log because it takes the full data 0-1023 output, -10-109 ire range and maps it to 10-80 ire so it looks flat, seems like a pointless endeavor when you can just record the full range, maybe it works for log LUTs or something. I was looking at everything on a scope via the 10 bit output so I could have missed something, the manual is 350 pages. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at color or IS yet. Lots of buttons and dials for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Well I just rented one of these for the week to take it for a spin. So far the good news is that the ETC 4096X2160 4k mode works perfectly for S16. The bad news, for some, is that Vlog is pointless, it doesn't yield any more DR than just lowering the contrast in Standard or Cine V picture profiles. It looks like Log because it takes the full data 0-1023 output, -10-109 ire range and maps it to 10-80 ire so it looks flat, seems like a pointless endeavor when you can just record the full range, maybe it works for log LUTs or something. I was looking at everything on a scope via the 10 bit output so I could have missed something, the manual is 350 pages. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at color or IS yet. Lots of buttons and dials for sure.
    What did you think of the DR you could get out of it? I think in V-log they claim 12 stops, not 100% sure though. What'd you think of the default colours and image?

I'm coloring a music video right now shot on GH4/5 and when they nail the white balance, the colors can be quite nice.

When it's not....... my god, shoot me.
    Steve Lee Jean
    Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA