Thread: Arri Rosette Mount Module for BMMCC by RADIOPROEKTOR (coming soon...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Arri Rosette Mount Module for BMMCC by RADIOPROEKTOR (coming soon...) 
    Arri Rosette Mount Module by RADIOPROEKTOR. This is next step to complete a BMMCC rig kit. The main idea was to allow easy access to camera buttons and same time keep rosette mounting point as close as possible to camera gravity center. This mount can be used with any other rigs and cages as well. After few months of prototyping, testing and collaboration i came to this final concept. Last weeks my friends try to setup their CNC machine and craft a small batch of these accessories.
    This mount uses these quality made stainless Arri Rosettes
    Earlier i plane to release this mount only as a kit with upcoming handle grip, but handle development goes very slow and i think this mount will be available as standalone option as well.
    The only current drawback is the price. Unfortunately it can't be done in same price range as SmallRig and other similar rosette mounts because manufacture and third party components costs are too high compare to other modules i done before.
    So let me know if you are interested in this kind of accessory and if you have some further ideas.

See also my other projects:
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20371
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?19313

Last edited by shijan; 08-22-2017 at 10:54 PM.

If the handle tuns out to be what I hope it will be, the price of this rosette mount wouldn't be an issue for most of us, I think. Modularity and universality is always a great concept, as this thing might fit on something like bmmcc 2 in the future.

There are a lot of similar, inexpensive products out there that have a very similar design. Have you though about something perhaps a little different that would place the handle closer to the center of gravity of the camera? Maybe utilize the two holes on the front face of the base portion, or even a dogleg that brings the handle below the lens? For a one handled setup balance is so critical, with your setup you'd almost want the handle on the other side of the lens. Your renders are great and I'm enjoying your breakout box immensely, but as cool as that setup looks it's really unbalanced without 2 handles.

This one is unique because it don't block camera buttons. Those extended 7mm makes huge difference and allow freedom for finger manipulation. And it is not so far from center as may look at first. I tested 3D printed prototype and it feels really well balanced.
    Also i noticed that camera usually never hold by one hand alone, because left hand is manipulating the lens and supporting camera from bottom as well.

Last edited by shijan; 08-22-2017 at 10:54 PM.

access to the buttons is critical as Dmitry says - if we had full camera control that wouldn't be an issue but the way it is you're always gonna need access to the menu for something

the only thing I would maybe like this adapter to do would be to have a little MORE offset (out horizontally from the attachment point) so we could have the option to reverse it and thus have it sit over the breakout box, for a less hand forward setup

Fair enough. Since you're already in bed with Smallrig maybe it makes more sense fiscally to simply design a 7mm offset spacer that works with the Smallrig cage and their rosette bracket. You could similarly make a deeper offset spacer that would allow the rosette to be reversed and cover the breakout box. For me personally ergonomics are critical and the primary function of any design. Here's a shot of my old pocket setup and even though I had the handle about as close to center as possible using off the shelf parts I was never 100% happy with it. I really wanted perfect balance. Good Luck.

pocket.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stelvis View Post
    access to the buttons is critical as Dmitry says - if we had full camera control that wouldn't be an issue but the way it is you're always gonna need access to the menu for something

the only thing I would maybe like this adapter to do would be to have a little MORE offset (out horizontally from the attachment point) so we could have the option to reverse it and thus have it sit over the breakout box, for a less hand forward setup
    To make the mount reversed it must be offset about 13mm. That will make mount two times larger than current design. That's the problem. Also rosette mount in that position only will make camera too front heavy and unbalanced.

You can count me in, if it will work with the Wooden Camera Micro cage.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    You can count me in, if it will work with the Wooden Camera Micro cage.
    Cheers
    Seems it must fit. SmallRig and Wooden Camera cages use same 9mm distance between threaded holes.
    But i see potential problems with Wooden Camera cage. Expansion Box fits very tight into Wooden Camera cage (Howie Roll reported that he even need to grind it slightly to fit) and when you add Rosette Mount to the cage it will close all nearest holes and this may limit airflow and cause camera overheat.
    So i can only suggest upgrade to SmallRig cage to be 100% sure that all my Modules will fit in future.

IMG_2388.jpg