Thread: Now that's what I call standing up for your crew.

1. #1 Now that's what I call standing up for your crew. 
    Ran across this while looking up some information on "Scream". I don't always hear "go to bat" stories like this from established Directors or Actors even. Sometimes you do though.

From Wiki:
    "Director of photography Mark Irwin was fired during filming of Scream's finale, a week before principal photography was to be completed. Upon review of the dailies, Craven found the footage was out of focus and unusable. Irwin was initially ordered to fire his camera crew. He retorted that if his crew were to be fired, they would also have to fire him. The producers fired him and replaced him with Peter Deming, who finished the film."

I've never worked with film so I'm guessing there is no way to check right after the shot to see if focus was nailed.

Cudos to Mark Irwin, I've worked with and under leaders in other industries who are ready to receive the pat on the back for their subordinate's work when things go well, but won't take the smack on the chin when things go bad.
    Sucks that he got an entire shot out of focus. :P. He sounds like a stand up guy.

Any other cool stories of working on crews where y'all f'd up and the boss man took the blame? Or where you took the blame for your crew?
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 08-12-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Most modern film Cinema cameras have a CCD video camera setup in the lens/camera path, to record " digital " dailies, not sure why .Mark couldm't see thatbyhe focus was not correct? I think there is more to this story, than we are hearing/reading?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post

Any other cool stories of working on crews where y'all f'd up and the boss man took the blame? Or where you took the blame for your crew?
    The now departed Andrew Lesnie ACS ASC was fired not long into the shooting of Mission Impossible 2 in Sydney for similar reasons for the above. Basically taking a bullet for his crew.

It didn't seem to slow him down because his next job was a little slow burner called "Lord of the Rings"....cough cough....Oscar winner....cough

It does seem to be an especially American trait to fire people.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    It does seem to be an especially American trait to fire people.
    JB
    Yeah it is. Just ask the folks at the White House. Cough....

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Most modern film Cinema cameras have a CCD video camera setup in the lens/camera path, to record " digital " dailies, not sure why .Mark couldm't see thatbyhe focus was not correct? I think there is more to this story, than we are hearing/reading?
    Cheers

Video taps are not accurate for telling whether a shot is in focus or not. They were standard def and looked like crap, basically only good for viewing the shot for framing. Even newer HD taps are not that great. Its much different than watching a feed off an HD camera.

Its not uncommon for firsts to get fired for soft shots only to later find out the lens out of columnation or there was an issue with the camera body. Now, its usually up to the first to recognize the issue and trouble shoot to possibly save his own bacon. But there are instances where no one caught it and by the time it is caught the person was already let go. Depending on the caliber of the AC...yeah a good DP will go to bat for them, and give them the opportunity to find out if it was one of these issues. Hard to say if that was the case here or there were other compounded issues with the production that got Mark fired.