Thread: Any BMMCC without FPN?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey John I tried to recreate the background and lighting of your image with the circuit breaker. Play around with it and see what you think compared to yours. I always feel my Micro has a really clean image in lowlight and the images you sent aren't to far off. Your images look good to me minus having to push a little two much and I see two faint lines on the left. But I've seen worse from some of the other on here. I believe Zak said he didn't get the best of luck with his Micro. But the one you are looking to buy looks pretty ok.

For a real world base line I'm sending a shot from an actual job I was on several weeks ago (shot with my Micro) which like you I end up having to shot with available light. Which sometimes is nothing more than a street light. the photographer is well exposed but the background is really dark especially on the far left. I can push to max exposure and all I get is noise. But I am plagued with crazy aliasing and moire artifacts with my camera. Noticeable on the shorts of his right leg, around the word "PLUS".
    I've been told this is a debayering algorithm flaw and can bee fixed. I wish BMD would work on it cause I feel my camera is golden besides that issue.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1E?usp=sharing

And I agree with you on the Pocket and Micro's sensor in lowlight. With the speed booster on I've shot under some extremely lowlight conditions, and with the help of Neat Video the shots turned out great. The color information these camera retain in lowlight is excellent.

Good Luck!

Oh, and the photog image is shot under fluorescents and the room is under tungsten, for WB.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 08-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.

The fact that the bmpcc seems fine is an interesting case as to why they haven't easily solved the issue yet on the bmmcc. I say the more we make a fuss the sooner anything gets done if them saying that they didn't know anyone wanted the DNX codec even though it's in the ursa's menu, they're gonna turn around and say they didn't know we wanted a camera without fpn.

Make some noise here if you want, or make another one with a more on point heading. https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...356199#p356199

Quote Originally Posted by goodgoings View Post
    I'll politely disagree the BMPCC with the Speedbooster and say it is even better than the Sony a7S in anything below 3200ISO. I say this because I owned them both and did extensive tests with them before shooting a feature documentary. Colors and noise so much better on the BMPCC. The a7S had to be crushed to hide the ugly noise while the organic noise of the BMPCC was pleasing allowing more information in the shadows.
    Well, that are quite different testing conditions. The Speedbooster gives you nearly one stop extra, which could be done on the A7S with a faster lens. And I can always add Neatvideo to improve any footage.

But regarding the structure of noise I admit you got an important point there. I never found any footage that is so massively compressed as in the A7S satisfying. So, when I had to shoot a doc under very low-light conditions, I used external recording with the Atomos Shogun. Since my final resolution was HD anyway, I used Neatvideo plus downscaling, both of which is further improving on noise. Result: no FPN whatsoever and really low dynamic noise. But then it's true that the color science of Sony sucks, saturated blue in particular. BM got much nicer colors.

Whenever you lift a BM camera too much in the shadows, there is some FPN to be found. Unfortunately the cameras vary quite a bit. Whenever I see someone complain about visible FPN from a BM camera, I look at stuff from 3 UM4K cameras and one UM46 we tested and say: don't lift your shadows that much and it's not a problem.

I've yet to see any FPN from a Red camera that was calibrated properly. Unfortunately, that calibration can take more than 10 minutes… I suppose BM would achieve something similar if we could do such a calibration at working temperature and exposure by ourselves.

Thanks Tim. Your BMMCC dng looks pretty good to me. If I look really hard, I might see a trace of it but that's the same with my BMPCC. It's basically non-existent in my books. Mine doesn't look as good as yours unfortunately. For the kind of shooting I do, I really need to find one that has clean shadows.

it's a sad day when both of the examples are better than my micro in low light. Mines still in warranty, do you think it's worth playing roulette to try get another or pray that a firmware update sorts it out?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1q...ew?usp=sharing

or maybe I'm just crying for nothing lol, I just want a perfect sensor :P
    Last edited by Ryanite; Today at 04:06 AM.