Thread: Del Pino's cinematography in Ozark

1. #1 Del Pino's cinematography in Ozark 
    Don't know if any of you guys watched the show on netflix. I started watching this week and I'm enjoying it very much. It has a very unique look, using a lot of practicals to actually light and a blueish grey coloring going on.

Pepe Avila del Pino is the cinematographer and there is a very interesting interview at nofilmschool.com where he explains how he got the look from the Varicam. But one thing he said that I found odd (at least I never tried it). He said he used 4400k white balance for every shot, interior and exterior, and never used a single filter on the lights.

Here's the full article:

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/07/subc...-pino-dp-ozark

Take care.

I'm going to guess they didn't shoot raw. So shooting 4400k provided a baked-in consistent blue tint to the entire show.
    Aaron Lochert

This:

"And for day interiors, one thing that I pitched to Jason was to let the shadows fall and let the darkness take over a little bit of the frame, even if it’s a bright day outside. That gives a sense that there’s some sort of hiding. Kind of like when you go into a cave, and the only light is coming from outside, and it's falling fast into darkness."
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I think camera work and lighting is quite awesome on Ozark - the dark look is right up to my alley, also the Varicam looked surprisingly good.
    Really enjoyed the whole season, and watched it again without audio, so I can concentrate on light and camera.

Yeah, I've been obsessed with the "dark look" myself lately. I was really digging the vibe of this entire series.

I got to work on a couple things shot on the Varicam LT and shot a little promo project with it, I absolutely love that camera. The dual native ISO is incredible and the color science is really nice. Would definitely get one if I had the money. It is better than the C300 amd has less noise in low light than the Alexa.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    I got to work on a couple things shot on the Varicam LT and shot a little promo project with it, I absolutely love that camera. The dual native ISO is incredible and the color science is really nice. Would definitely get one if I had the money. It is better than the C300 amd has less noise in low light than the Alexa.
    A mate of mine just shot a piece on the Varicam LT with Zeiss Jenna lenses and it looks SICK! I mean REALLY REALLY good. There are aspects of the image he achieved that you KNOW you can't get with just any "comparable professional" camera and lenses.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

i really loved this show, i actually went put and did some shots last weekend with the ursa using the 4400k he was talking about. i haven't graded anything yet, but really loved the shows color, and also the interview.

I find it surprising that he didn't gel any HMIs, even plus or minus green to match newer and older globes. The night exteriors at the Langmore trailer park must have had some heavy color grading in that case. There was a lot of green and cyan used that contrasted with the tungsten practicals. In my last feature I used those night exteriors as inspiration and went with Lee 219 for that fluorescent green moonlight look. It gave me close results in camera.

AA1.jpg
    AA2.jpg

The top frame had a mercury vapor practical giving the natural green along with a couple M18s plus 219 gel for the moonlight. A Skypanel at 2900k was the tungsten motivation. The bottom still had the Lee 219 gel on an M18 lighting the trees. The warmth came from a 2k with full CTO motivating the campfire on a magic gadget. Shot on the Ursa Mini 4.6k.
    Last edited by Jon; 11-09-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Tried to emulate some of the look in my last commercial