Thread: Del Pino's cinematography in Ozark

1. #1 Del Pino's cinematography in Ozark 
    Don't know if any of you guys watched the show on netflix. I started watching this week and I'm enjoying it very much. It has a very unique look, using a lot of practicals to actually light and a blueish grey coloring going on.

Pepe Avila del Pino is the cinematographer and there is a very interesting interview at nofilmschool.com where he explains how he got the look from the Varicam. But one thing he said that I found odd (at least I never tried it). He said he used 4400k white balance for every shot, interior and exterior, and never used a single filter on the lights.

Here's the full article:

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/07/subc...-pino-dp-ozark

Take care.

I'm going to guess they didn't shoot raw. So shooting 4400k provided a baked-in consistent blue tint to the entire show.
    Aaron Lochert

This:

"And for day interiors, one thing that I pitched to Jason was to let the shadows fall and let the darkness take over a little bit of the frame, even if it’s a bright day outside. That gives a sense that there’s some sort of hiding. Kind of like when you go into a cave, and the only light is coming from outside, and it's falling fast into darkness."
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I think camera work and lighting is quite awesome on Ozark - the dark look is right up to my alley, also the Varicam looked surprisingly good.
    Really enjoyed the whole season, and watched it again without audio, so I can concentrate on light and camera.

Yeah, I've been obsessed with the "dark look" myself lately. I was really digging the vibe of this entire series.

I got to work on a couple things shot on the Varicam LT and shot a little promo project with it, I absolutely love that camera. The dual native ISO is incredible and the color science is really nice. Would definitely get one if I had the money. It is better than the C300 amd has less noise in low light than the Alexa.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    I got to work on a couple things shot on the Varicam LT and shot a little promo project with it, I absolutely love that camera. The dual native ISO is incredible and the color science is really nice. Would definitely get one if I had the money. It is better than the C300 amd has less noise in low light than the Alexa.
    A mate of mine just shot a piece on the Varicam LT with Zeiss Jenna lenses and it looks SICK! I mean REALLY REALLY good. There are aspects of the image he achieved that you KNOW you can't get with just any "comparable professional" camera and lenses.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

i really loved this show, i actually went put and did some shots last weekend with the ursa using the 4400k he was talking about. i haven't graded anything yet, but really loved the shows color, and also the interview.