Thread: Fighting rehearsals

1. #1 Fighting rehearsals 
    Learning that even if you've shot numerous action based scenes and edits in the past, going into a new genre it helps to rehearse camera moments and to have a decent knowledge of the sport or action you're shooting. :P

Here is a quick edit I threw together from one of the (fight choreograph) rehearsal days for a Sci-Fi fighting short I'm working on. First time filming and directing fighters. Fun times...!

Just BTS rehearsal footage/edit. Filmed all on the BMMCC and Ronin M. All lighting was natural from large window gym front. I used Frank's Instant C Lut (with linear adjustment) to try it out for fun. I like it.

https://vimeo.com/228775255

Side Note: Filmed in RAW with the Micro and the corduroy GI material wasn't the nightmare I thought it was going to be. Moire' bit me a couple of times, but for the most part I was pleasantly surprised!
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 08-09-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Tough looking girls! As a stunt performer first and someone who got into cinematography after, for things like this I prefer to go handheld and with a monopod. The ronin doesn't follow fast enough to keep everything in the shot without being too wide or having a 2nd operator. A big part of action is capturing the wrecks and falls, and if they go out of frame you might as well have a pad there. Also this looks more like a sparring session. I didn't see much choreography in there (unless the scene is a grappling scene in a dojo or some other setting), and when choreographing fights usually you wouldn't want one performer to completely stack the other one. Every shot, every movement of the camera is for a purpose to help tell the story of the choreography, and to advance the story of the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Tough looking girls! As a stunt performer first and someone who got into cinematography after, for things like this I prefer to go handheld and with a monopod. The ronin doesn't follow fast enough to keep everything in the shot without being too wide or having a 2nd operator. A big part of action is capturing the wrecks and falls, and if they go out of frame you might as well have a pad there. Also this looks more like a sparring session. I didn't see much choreography in there (unless the scene is a grappling scene in a dojo or some other setting), and when choreographing fights usually you wouldn't want one performer to completely stack the other one. Every shot, every movement of the camera is for a purpose to help tell the story of the choreography, and to advance the story of the scene.
    Hey Geran, thanks for the advice and knowledge with the genre. I use a lot of monopod shots in my other work and agree, but I'll be shooting some circling shots so I'll definitely mix the Ronin in for most of them. As for tracking the fighters, I'll just adjust the deadband (speed it up) and I should be fine. (things I leaned on day one of rehearsal :P ) I always have my deadband set for really really slow movements. But I can tell I need some practice with the fighters movements and timing to keep them in frame, from side to side. I'm also looking to make use of the Tilta follow focus when I get it.

Yeah, the choreograph was just that (grappling) the moves that they are showing are actually what is written in the story and developed by our choreographer (at least for the small portion that I showed).
    Hand work to ground.
    Girl in white tries to escape and stand back up. (not a ground fighter)
    Girl in white gets lifted and locked up.
    Girl in white thinks she's got that move beat. (compensates for getting lifted and locked up)
    Girl in white gets flipped and locked up. .
    One fighter dominating the other is definitely part of the written story, during this small part of the script.
    There is more to this scene but like I said it was camera movement and fighting rehearsal day. Practice practice practice :P

Thanks for the advice, post more tips when you think of them. I'll definitely try shooting some more with the Monopod and see how it looks. I've got a later scene in a warehouse with a concrete floor, and have scheduled several throws going on. So I'll have to shot with on longer lens to hide the pads like you mentioned. I may pick your brain when that time comes.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 08-09-2017 at 04:37 PM.