Thread: Tungsten Lights best prices in EU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tungsten Lights best prices in EU 
    Guys,

Anyone knows where I can get decent tungsten lights (was thinking of LED, but I really need good skin tones rendering) at very reasonable prices in Europe? I was thinking of Came-TVs EU warehouse but I can't find any tungstens there (just LEDs). I need 2x or 3x 1k fresnels with barn doors and stands. I already have diffusors, flags, etc.

I know Dedolights are great but a little over my budget...

Thanks!

EDIT:

They must be silent and dimmable...

EDIT 2:

Just saw these on amazon. It looks ridiculously low priced (and they're 800w), but...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BPS-Lightin...sten+light+kit
    Last edited by david evans; 08-07-2017 at 10:59 AM.

You should be able to get them second hand for cheap, since many are replacing their Tungsten lighting with modern technology meanwhile.
    BTW, there are LEDs with decent color quality now, check the very careful tests by Personal View, for example this:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/d...-light#Item_36

I have the chance of buying a used 3x1000w Lowel DP tungsten kit with just the tripods and flightcase for 400 eur. Any of guys had any eperience with these lights?

Thanks

EDIT

Nomad, LEDs are tempting as they run much cooler and are not as power consuming as tungsten, but from what I understand, they are still an inferior light source compared to tungsten. And they cast a lot of micro shadows from what I've read. Again, this is just my impression on what I read, as I don't have any experience with LEDs...
    Last edited by david evans; 08-11-2017 at 03:50 PM.

I have a lowel DP kit that stays in the workvan. Very reliable, great source and mix extremely well with our Mole and Arri kits. I wouldn't hesitate though I would double check the going rate. If I'm doing my math conversion from USD right it may be a bit steep at 400eur.

Thanks Tommy! I've checked B&H and those Lowel DP kits go for 1144 USD new. How much would a reasonable price be for a good condition used one?

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Nomad, LEDs are tempting as they run much cooler and are not as power consuming as tungsten, but from what I understand, they are still an inferior light source compared to tungsten. And they cast a lot of micro shadows from what I've read. Again, this is just my impression on what I read, as I don't have any experience with LEDs...
    That's why I linked to those tests, since they care much more for color quality than the usual (and often misleading) CRI value. There are LED lights now that have colors at least as good as Kinoflo lights. And then there are ones that have single, strong light source and no multiple shadows.

Nevertheless, a Lowel set is a very good piece of equipment.

Just realized that the Lowel DP kit that I was thinking of buying is actually made of open face lights. I'm sure they're very nice lights but I need the flexibility of a fresnel. Back to square one...

Found these:
    https://jet.com/product/detail/69c1f...f-61554edd3aa0

Use "router motor control" attenuators as dimmers - they handle the wattage. Cheap too. Hardware store item.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Such a dimmer will shift the color temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Found these:
    https://jet.com/product/detail/69c1f...f-61554edd3aa0

Use "router motor control" attenuators as dimmers - they handle the wattage. Cheap too. Hardware store item.

They look great, but this is an american reseller, right? So, they only ship from the US? That's a bummer with customs...